Oil Circulation

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Neil Chamberlain.

Oil Circulation

Post by Neil Chamberlain. »

I have a 1965 14CSR purchased last September. I have been working on the bike over the winter(but not the engine). On starting the engine & removing the oil filler cap I am unable to see any evidence that the oil is circulating. Is this as serious as it sounds? Any advice for a novice to old(ish) Brit Bikes would be most welcome.
Kieran Enright.

Oil Circulation

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Dear Neil,

I've not seen the inside of the oil tank on one of these, so I don't know how the return pipe is fitted, but all the Brits I've owned have the return oil flow where you can see it. I would treat as serious if I were you.
The oil return to the tank is not a steady flow when the engine is ticking over, as double oil pumps (i.e. those with one section for oil feed, and another for scavenging) are all built so that the scavenge side can pump faster than the feed. This is because the scavenge pump may have to clear the sump of a puddle of oil when starting the engine from cold, and when the engine is running fast, the oil draining into the crankcase is often pretty frothy.
The result is, at a tickover, the oil return comes back in little gushes rather than a steady flow. But, no flow - that means trouble.

Best regards,

Kes Enright
Neil Chamberlain.

Oil Circulation

Post by Neil Chamberlain. »

Dear Kes,
Thanks for your reply. There is (or should be!) an old adage along the lines of look for the simple things first! It would seem that I am suffering from wet sumping! Due to a lack of knowledge on my part I had not realised the Model 14 could be affected by this as there is no separate oil tank as such. The oil is contained within the crankcase but in it's own tank. When I finally managed to get the drain plug off a substantail quantity of oil came out. At the moment I have left the drain plug off and set the engine on compression and after around a week about an eggcup full of oil has drained out. I am reasonable confident that when everything is put back together this will be the answer as the bike had stood for several months without the engine being run.
Your comments on the rate of oil flow are also welcome and I now know what to look for.

Thanks again,

Neil Chamberlain
Kieran Enright.

Oil Circulation

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Dear Neil,

it sounds like you have sorted it, and if I helped at all you're very welcome. I still have a great deal to learn about Ajays - I didn't know they made one with an oil tank as you've described (sounds like the system Royal Enfield used). Hope she goes well for you.

Best regards,

Kes