centre stand

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
matchbart

centre stand

Post by matchbart »

the centre stand on my g3ls occasionally grounds when cornering enthusiastically, so i had a look at it when on it`s side stand and it is resting on the underneath of the silencer, , is this normal or do i have the wrong silencer fitted ? it also explains a loud clank when i go over a decent bump..
alanengineer

Re: centre stand

Post by alanengineer »

somethings wrong somewhere. Photo would help
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Mine could touch the silencer if it was in it's lower position on the bracket attaching it to the frame - with the silencer raised to about the mid position it misses, just, when the centre stand is raised and located in the spring clip.

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Just removed the silencer, the front pipe is probably 9/10" inside the silencer and with just front pipe in place the centre stand foot still hits the front pipe, so i have put it all back together and live with it until a get a new system or find another one to compare it with, there does not appear to be a centre stand clip either, thanks
REW

Post by REW »

Assuming you have the correct parts, try rotating the downpipe in the head. From the front view, rotate clockwise and the whole exhaust should move both upwards and outwards, away from the machine. Anticlockwise and the exhaust will be closer to the machine and lower, closer to the road and probably look too low at the tail pipe.

At some point of rotation the exhaust should look parallel to the ground, the bike centerline and the stand be parallel to the road when up. It may still clip the silencer though! If it does all this but the bracketry doesn't line up, make some new ones. Pattern silencers etc don't often fit quite like the originals. Otherwise I would have to question the pipes - sure they are right?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

thanks Ron, i will give that a try... do you still have the 450DX ?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I once had a silencer that the centre stand hit. This resulted in a dent that soon became a hole, in the silencer. Perhaps you have a miss match of silencer and pipe. I recall my 55 G3LS original system had a long pipe blocked at the end, with holes drill in the side of the pipe. This went a long way into the straight through silencer. A new repro system had a short pipe with no baffle, this went a shorter distance into the baffled silencer. Needles to say a long baffled pipe will not match a baffled silencer. First check as Ron suggests. If the system is not parallel, perhaps the pipe needs to go further into the silencer to make the system parallel. So you may just be able to shorten the pipe. You may also need to elongate the silencer bracket hole, so the silencer can be raised parallel with the pipe.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

They all need the spring clip. Go get one, fit it and let us know if it still hits. Its a cheap fix
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

I have been looking at spring clips on spares pages but wasn`t sure which one it is...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Centre stand clip.JPG
You only have to look at Page 36 in the 1955 G3LS Parts List:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

Pt No. 016399

Available from Club Spares:

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21199

(Reply posted by this non real motorcyclist attending the Jampot with a motorhome ;) ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'