AMC layshaft bearing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LynP

AMC layshaft bearing

Post by LynP »

AMC layshaft bearing 6003, please could anyone tell me is it a standard or C3 clearance spec. bearing?
Thank you for any help

Re: AMC layshaft bearing

Post by 1608 »

Don't know for sure, but I wouldn,t have thought there was enough heat generated in the g/box to warrent a C3 bearing.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thanks for your thoughts 1608, I agree with you on the heat factors. However, I felt sure that somewhere I saw a reference to this on the a forum but I can't find it, so perhaps I made a mistake. The other reason I thought it was a C3 is because on the Norton forums and on one of the Norton spares sites they were indicating that the problems experienced with AMC layshaft bearing failure is due to both the standard clearance bearing and the roller conversion being too rigid. I thought that the C3 fit may allow a little more flex especially if there is some slight wear in the bronze bushes at the other end of the layshaft.
Any thought appreciated.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

C3 bearings do have a tad more ball clearance to allow for a hotter running inner journal expanding in size, Ken (itma) used to go on about C3 but I think that was for main bearings. In the current issue of OBM there is an article about using C3 for wheel bearing, I can't read it now it's under my Triumph to catch the oil. :D

I can't see any harm in using C3.

Colin

I found one of Ken's posts about C3
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ing#p81166
only dead fish go with the flow