reconstructed classics .

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Paul R

reconstructed classics .

Post by Paul R »

Wondering if anyone has any experience of registering a "reconstructed classic" . I have a Model 14 that is a mix of parts from different machines with the frame dated 1963 , it is almost complete with all original early 60s parts . I had a chat with DVLA who were quite helpful and suggested that once built up should be ok to obtain a age related registration . The only concern I have is that I need to replace the wheel rims as the old ones are totally shot . Under a strict interpretation of the rules if these are new parts would that invalidate the criteria for it being a reconstructed classic? If anyone has any gone through this process any advice would be most welcome . Thanks in advance .
clive

Re: reconstructed classics .

Post by clive »

Registered one in January this year like yours made from a number of parts but engine and frame from 1951. You will need a dating certificate from an approved dating officer and I think there is now a requirement that it is dated relatively recently. (The club will provide one and it is cheaper to join the club and then get it at members discount price). I did not need an MOT as it is pre 60. As your frame is 63 this will be the age registered for the bike and so it will require an MOT done on the frame number I think. They may send an inspection officer to look at it. If so they will check frame and engine number and ask about new or restored parts. They are looking for predominantly parts that are restored not new but would not exclude a bike for new wheel rims I think provided much of the rest of it is period. Don't be too up front on how many bikes the parts came from as I think it's supposed to be a restored bike not a collection of bits. Mine went smoothly.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

May be you were given good advice ;)
Roy
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Thanks guys that's pretty reassuring ,I'll crack on now...
Janet

Post by Janet »

Paul in shed wrote:Thanks guys that's pretty reassuring ,I'll crack on now...
Assuming you'll be wanting a dating certificate via the club's service, why don't you join up now. As Clive said, membership + dating certificate costs less than a dating certificate alone for non-members.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Just for the record chaps I did join the club a few days ago . I know that clubs like this are invaluable when it comes to knowledge and experience. Paul in shed is forum name Paul R is Jampot moniker . Cheers.
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote:May be you were given good advice ;)
It was indeed excellent advice from the dating officer that got it through quickly. This time i didn't even ride it with false plates while I waited :twisted:
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Paul in shed wrote:Just for the record chaps I did join the club a few days ago . I know that clubs like this are invaluable when it comes to knowledge and experience. Paul in shed is forum name Paul R is Jampot moniker . Cheers.
Paul you come up on the forum as not a member. This means at the moment your posts have to be approved before they appear. This will soon stop but you do not have access to all of the site. Send an email to the webmaster@ jampot.com to get it sorted. Oh and welcome to the club.
clive