Headlamp Shell Alterations

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Headlamp Shell Alterations

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, this winter I am going 12v/LED on my '54 18S. I already have indicators, but no repeater in the headlamp shell to see when they are switched on. I have 3 options: fit a repeater light on a bracket to one side of the headlamp (easiest but least tidiest); drill the headlamp shell (and damage an original part - I like to make changes reversible with a spanner!); buy a new headlamp shell and drill away (most expensive option but no risk except to wallet). Has anyone done this? Club spares do one @ around £33, is quality ok? Best way to measure and drill thin sheet metal? Your thoughts welcome, Andy
Harry44

Re: Headlamp Shell Alterations

Post by Harry44 »

Hi Andy, a bit of sideways thinking here, legally you don't need a repeater (idiot light) if you can see one of the indicators when sitting normally on the bike.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Harry44 wrote:Hi Andy, a bit of sideways thinking here, legally you don't need a repeater (idiot light) if you can see one of the indicators when sitting normally on the bike.
I would be thinking the same. Do I really need to fiddle fitting something else to go wrong.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Fit a buzzer instead. Mine's in the indicator relay, or you can fit a seperate buzzer.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:Fit a buzzer instead. Mine's in the indicator relay, or you can fit a seperate buzzer.
Dave.
Half of us are deaf Dave, I can't hear the buzzer in my car, can only just hear the buzzer when trailer is attached. ( I think that operates a different buzzer ) I would not hear a buzzer on my bike wearing crash helmet or not. But I would be able to see the indicator working. Which I cannot see in a car. So do need an indicator warning light in the car.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I have a great anxiety about leaving the 'Left' indicator on and a car puling out in front of me from a side road. I'm fitting one of these to the 'Mutchless' (12v) for less than a fiver. It can be fitted anywhere and it's so loud that I have to put tape over the front to quieten it down. (The buzzer is about the diameter of a 2p coin).
Buzzer.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-IND ... 2749.l2649
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
pecon

Post by pecon »

Andy, there are a number of self cancelling options for motorcycles including this one and some on eBay. Not sure if voltage might be a factor though.

https://www.safer-turn.com/