Grease Gun

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uas526

Grease Gun

Post by uas526 »

I know this topic has been covered before, but I would like to ask something quite specific. On replacing the grease nipples to the newer type, i.e. those sold by AMC classics (as part 000051), does anyone have a recommendation (i.e. make and model) for a decent grease gun. Recommendations for grease also welcome.

Ah, one more thing...when greasing the front frame head (fork races) do I just keep piling in the grease until this section of the frame is full :headbang:, or is there a better way to do it :ugeek:

Thanks for any help or advice.
clive

Re: Grease Gun

Post by clive »

I don't think there should be a grease nipple on the frame for greasing the fork races. All I do is grease them on assembly and forget until it next comes apart. You would need to fill the frame. Instead I believe the part that should be mounted there is 01392 clip for speedometer drive and 000450 screw holding it in place. Stops the cable getting trapped between frame and fork stop. The parts are listed under speedometer not the frame.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I agree with Clive, (well partly), in that I lube steering bearings thoroughly on assembly and then forget them, (apart from adjusting them).

I use high melting point lithium grease for all grease applications on my Matchless: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubrica ... gLplfD_BwE

The parts manual indicates that a grease nipple should be fitted to the frame so I have retained it for originality.

I prefer the trigger type of grease gun such as this:

But you need to be accurate when lining up the hub covers with the nipples.

I've also managed to source an original grease gun so at some point I intend to fit original nipples, are yours heading for the bin? if so could I make you an offer?

Regards Mick
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I found a small pump type grease gun that works really well.
I got it from from my local garden centre as it is for chainsaws.
It was only a few £'s, similar to this one

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/husqvarna- ... gKDIPD_BwE
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stuoyb wrote:I found a small pump type grease gun that works really well.
I got it from from my local garden centre as it is for chainsaws.
It was only a few £'s, similar to this one

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/husqvarna- ... gKDIPD_BwE
That gun appears to have a nozzle Stu. The old type guns with a cone that fits over the grease nipple. If not used dead in line with the nipple, more grease escapes, than goes in the nipple. Most of my older bikes have nipples for steering bearings. The manual states use grease sparingly.
Perhaps each springtime I'll give a pump with steering turned left, right and dead ahead. Just in case some of the balls may have got dry/rusty over winter lay up.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Rob, the nozzle ensures that the ball in the nipple is depressed and feeds grease in.
I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't first hand experience of its effectiveness.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stuoyb wrote:Rob, the nozzle ensures that the ball in the nipple is depressed and feeds grease in.
I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't first hand experience of its effectiveness.
That's exactly what I thought Stu. The nozzle depressing the nipple, instead of just pressure, like on the old type guns. Which will often fail, if the nipple ball is stuck. Even an old type gun with lever instead of just pushing often fails. More grease escaping than goes in.
clive

Post by clive »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The parts manual indicates that a grease nipple should be fitted to the frame so I have retained it for originality.

Regards Mick
I think the issue here is that with the fork mounted speedo, the higher mounting and nearer the frame meant that the speedo cable was at risk so a clip was specified and fitted in the headstock hole. Once the headlight mounted speedo was fitted this was no longer necessary but the frame continued to have the hole drilled and tapped, hence the totally useless grease nipple was fitted to fill it. Perhaps one of the technical specification crew had shares in a grease company :roll:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
uas526

Post by uas526 »

Thanks so much for all the useful advice and recommendations. I'm now checking out those grease guns and grease. I've just looked at the frame (1954) and there is one grease nipple in the lower part of frame, and one in the top lug (sorry for the confusion, not the frame), and one tapped hole in the middle of the frame for the clip. Looking at the old nipples they are chipped and worn (the lower one by long-term abrasion from the cables). No wonder they don't work :D . As a short-term workaround I've removed the nipples and used a 10 cc plastic syringe to push in some grease...I then did the speedo gearbox with the same. Works well.

Thanks again for all all your replies...
uas526

Post by uas526 »

Sorry, forgot my name.

Cheers,

Aaron