000805 Fork crown ball race

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: 000805 Fork crown ball race

Post by Rob Harknett »

McBob wrote:True to their word, the kit supplied by Andrew Engineering is the correct fit, many thanks for the help!
Hi, I can not find a supplier who has the bearing with the correct I.D. AMOC parts service replaced my first one, but the replacement suffers the same problem. Purchased a third from a vendor who thought it was not from wassell's, and that is the problem, all of them seem to come from the same manufacturer.

That same manufacturer was most probably Andrew Engineering. It is very strange , you can get advise not to get parts from ABC, go to DEF their parts are much better quality and they fit. But both ABC & DEF use the same supplier. Perhaps there's a bit of luck involved in getting a good or bad one.
McBob

Post by McBob »

I am sure Andrew Engineering wouldn't package their products with a wassell label, that and the physical differences as shown. Defiantly two distinct manufacturers, one making a bearing fit for purpose and the other, as far as the crown bearing is concerned, paper weights or sinkers!

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Suppliers would supply in bulk for re packaging. A label means nothing. Company I worked for had electronic gear delivered from China. Who would buy that rubbish. Actually the people that brought it thought they were getting a well know brand they recommended. Little did they know they brought the goods they called rubbish. Our job was to silk screen, re print, over the Chinese brand name with the English brand name. The companies own employees came to our factory to totally re pack the goods in all their own boxes and packing. They even took all the old packing away. Which we could have reused.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Parts from Andrew Engineering are made here in Lancashire, not the far east! They are made to the correct dimensions and from the correct material spec. Thanks to Malcolm 's skill, knowledge and thorough research they fit and perform correctly. I really fear for the future supply of good quality new spares when this supply dries up, as it inevitably will now that production has ceased and the existing stocks are limited.
Wassels sell stuff packaged as 'Hepolite' and 'Lucas' . Quality unknown, but trading on old loyalties to known quality products. Dubious business practice in my opinion.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I dont know how many of you good folk are aware, but Andrew Engineering have now ceased manufacture :(
Ive just had delivered a new QD rear drum/sprocket for my M31DL from them and included was a note to the effect that they are now winding down, and think that the end of 2018 will be the end of the road. They will keep going until the stock of parts they make is low enough for them to cease trading in motorcycle spares completely.
All a bit sad, but you cant begrudge someone their retirement plans after 36 years can you?
I wish Joan and Malcolm all the very best for the future. :beer:

Steve

PS I see Zwarts was posting the same thing whilst I was typing this one ;)
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

It's a shame that they are closing down and there is no-one to keep their business running but hopefully the Club Spares Scheme might be able to negotiate a good price on any remaining stock at the appropriate time. Cheers. Bruce.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

zwarts wrote:Parts from Andrew Engineering are made here in Lancashire, not the far east! They are made to the correct dimensions and from the correct material spec. Thanks to Malcolm 's skill, knowledge and thorough research they fit and perform correctly. I really fear for the future supply of good quality new spares when this supply dries up, as it inevitably will now that production has ceased and the existing stocks are limited.
Wassels sell stuff packaged as 'Hepolite' and 'Lucas' . Quality unknown, but trading on old loyalties to known quality products. Dubious business practice in my opinion.
Totally agree, Bob.
The growing demand for 'cheap' or 'the cheapest' supplier of this or that is self-defeating, driving European manufacturers of good quality components out of business. Manufacturers in China and India are perfectly capable of producing good quality components, but whilst there are enough people (dare I say very many?) who want 'cheap' (anything) that's what'll be made.
A highly skilled retired pal with a wondrously equipped home workshop recently mentioned over a brew that he was thinking of giving up doing bike engine/gearbox/electrical repairs as he's fed up with the chilly reaction he gets when he tells punters that his labour charge is £15 an hour.
My window cleaner earns more than that.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

thornebt wrote:It's a shame that they are closing down and there is no-one to keep their business running but hopefully the Club Spares Scheme might be able to negotiate a good price on any remaining stock at the appropriate time. Cheers. Bruce.
Andrew Engineering have withdrawn trade prices and only sell at retail to “trade” customers.

They did offer their full stock out but at “normal” prices and no discount for the volume or making smaller lots available. It was similar a few years ago with lightweight stock - a case of full price and no discount considered. This sort of non-deal is not financially viable for the club and the only beneficiary being Andrew Engineering.