Completely disassembled AJS motocycle - identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
sztyga20

Completely disassembled AJS motocycle - identification

Post by sztyga20 »

Hello!
I'm Andrzej. I,ve already registered to Your forum to request for help. I'm looking for AJS/Matchless motocycle to renovation (Early postwar AMS motocycles are the most beautifull I've ever seen), unfortunately the are not popular here where I live (Poland). After few months of searching I've found an interesting offer. I have some pictures, please look:
https://imgur.com/a/sq2bi
The Seller claim that is AJS or Matchless 500cc from 1958, complete in 90%.
First I nearly to buy it, but after request of more pictures I have second thoughts...

First of all: the signature on the engine cover 58 G3LS indicate that is Matchless G3LS 350cm, I,ve asked seller what it the bore diameter and he tell me 82-83mm... G3LS have different, smaller diameter so maybe it is 500cm engine with unoriginal engine cover or this is 350cc engine with cylinder, head and piston from 500cc?
There are also strange gas tank with location of oil cap on the front, all AJS/Matchless motocycless which I,ve seen from 1958 have oil cap on the side. Seat should be longer, this parts are also unoriginal?

What do you think about this? It is 90% complete motorcycle or random pieces/parts from few motorcycles?
dave16mct

Re: Completely disassembled AJS motocycle - identification

Post by dave16mct »

There are parts from different years. The frame and oiltank looks like a 1963-on. The engine plates, carb etc are early 1950's. The engine, chaincase and gearbox are 1958 but may have a 500 top end. (350 flywheels are stamped G3, 500 are stamped G9) . I think I would look for a better bike!
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is quite a mixture of parts there, some older than 1958 some not correct. crack case says 58 350, bore says 500, timing covers are older than 58, not good for the SR1 mag, carb, both tanks seat wrong for 58. You would need to check year and model of the frame with our dating officer. It depends what you want. You would not be able to use all the parts there. So it is even less complete than it looks. Try and contact some of our club members in Poland, they may even know of a good bike for sale. The polish members organised our club rally this year in early summer. It would have been good for you to have seen all the old AJS & Matchless bikes at that rally. Talking to members, joining our club and getting a bike.
I see Dave relied while I was typing, he says about the same as I do. I agree, for your first bike find something complete perhaps running. This project would be a bit too much for you as a first project.
sztyga20

Post by sztyga20 »

Thank You for answer. Now I know it is better to avoid this offer. I also write to serrer what I know about his bike, but he still claims that is 90% complete 500cc, waste of time.
So the quest of search good AJS still ongoing.
I try to find contact to polish A&MOC member but it looks like they don't have website, is anyone know email adress please send me pw.
sztyga20

Post by sztyga20 »

I hope that this time I have luck.
I found another offer, for me looks better, what do You think, It is worth to rescue? The price is better than in offer above. I can't find central stand, oil tank, speedometer, handlebar looks strange, but engine, frame, mudguards, gas tank looks fine, or am I wrong?

Engine No. 53G3L. 19828
Frame No. 0136

//edit
Sorry, I forgot paste the link.
https://imgur.com/a/vDEYO
Last edited by sztyga20 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Need to re check the frame number. Pictures may be needed. Some 53 models had rear stand.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The internal condition of the engine and gearbox could be a bit of a lottery but from the photos this appears to be a good basis for a restoration, all the hard to get items seem to be present - I'd go for it if it was local to me.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes I agree with Mick, it should make a nice bike. That's not the frame number. Look for it under the front of the seat, on the gearbox side, next to the seat stud.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Much better than the first bike, most parts seem to be correct for the year. It does look like a Girling suspension unit in a box, which would be wrong.
sztyga20

Post by sztyga20 »

Thank You for answers!

I'm in 99% decided to buy it:) More picures from the seller https://imgur.com/a/piO19
The handlebar is correct in this model?
There is a problem, seller can't find frame number, I only see on the frame near carb number 0135... but it is in wrong side. Without proper frame number purchase contract could be void.