Taste in transfers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Taste in transfers

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I would appreciate your advice on transfer colours. I am having my AJS 18S tank painted AJS blue (I have made many alterations from standard, but none that cannot be undone so purists relax!). The rest of the bike is black with gold transfers, but I am tempted to have the tank large AJS transfers and lining in silver, but am concerned that they would then clash with the other transfers on the bike. What does the 'body of the kirk' think? Andy
Rob Harknett

Re: Taste in transfers

Post by Rob Harknett »

You are at liberty to do what ever you wish with your property. It is what you want that matters. If on the other hand all that is wanted is for the bike to look different seeking attention. You already know what some others may think. There is also another reaction to a non standard bike. It may look different, but viewed as a very smart and tidy machine. Even by the purists.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Andy.
For my black with red trim Matchlesses (G80 and G9) Ive gone with gold. The AJS M 31DL which is black with blue trim gets silver. Tis only my opinion, but I thought that gold doesnt sit well with blue ;)
Puts me in mind of a Fairport Convention song - Red and Gold are Royal Colours :D it does go on to say that peasant colours are green and brown, but as I have a green BSA Im saying nowt...........

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I agree with Steve - in my view AJS blue and gold don't go together as well as blue and silver - I don't think you'll notice much of a clash with the gold elsewhere, (assuming you're only talking about the 'standard' transfer locations).

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

How about doing a mock-up of the proposed tank colours on cardboard or similar and see how it looks next to the black and gold?

Post by 1608 »

Why not just do what you think looks good.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Thanks everyone. Hang the expense, I have ordered both gold and silver tank transfers from Jampot spares to see which looks best. Now, which readily available over-the-counter spray can blue colour is a reasonable match for 1950's AJS blue to try out as Janet wisely suggests? The tank painter will match the blue of the '54 plastic roundel badge to give me the colour for the final job. Cheers, Andy
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Good for you...if I ever get my collection of bits together I'm seriously thinking about getting some 'AJSless' transfers made !! :D
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...