New project

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
peterd54

Re: New project

Post by peterd54 »

Hi all bike has been running now for about a week but has developed an oil leak it seems to be coming from the chain case only when the bike runs the engine oil has not gone down ? Any ideas of how it's getting in the chain case ? any info greatly received. Thanks
Janet

Post by Janet »

Which chaincase do you mean, primary or final drive? I'm assuming your bike has a fully enclosed final drive chain.
I suspect the rear chaincase because it's usual to put oil into the primary case and you haven't referred to the level rising. My lightweight only has a top chain cover thingy and for about two years I didn't need to lubricate the chain. Since I had the gearbox oil seal changed, I need to remember to grease the chain.

At least the cover on the other side isn't filling up with oil as mine did a few years ago. :oops:
Expat

Post by Expat »

Could be leaking from behind the clutch via the so called oilseal made of felt. Had the same trouble on my G3 until I stopped filling the primary case up too much, as advised many times by wiser folks here.

Even having the oil just touching the chain, as viewed through the filler cap, the level was too high and just got thrown around and out past the, no doubt worn, felt 'seal' behind the clutch.

As to your question, maybe the oil level hasn't risen but the felt has given up sealing. ;)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I think you will find that the switch with I/E is the ignition switch (no key), the E position being the emergency start which brings in all the low tension coils together for emergency starting when the battery is flat. You start in the E position then switch over to I position when started. Well that's the theory. The H/L position on the lighting switch is for parking and driving light. If the bike hasn't been run for some years the contact breaker points may need a clean and reset also the spark plug. I would also change the engine oil and make sure the gearbox oil is fully topped up. Enjoy your new bike.