Two questions from a new owner

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Two questions from a new owner

Post by MalcW »

Hi

After having been an AJS & Matchless Owners Club member way back in the distant past with a Model 18, I have now rejoined as I have very recently bought a Model 31 Deluxe. All complete, but needs recommissioning after being laid up for some while. I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, I discovered this evening that the push/pull fuel tap leaks like a sieve from the on/off bit. Any idea where I can get a replacement, as I think the seals are shot, and it doesn't have a filter in the top (though to be honest I'm not sure if it should). I'm not worried whether it's push/pull or rotary, as long as it fits the tank thread.

Secondly, it was first registered in 1960, and the club dating service shows that it has the original registration, which suggests it was registered in Kinkardineshire (now part of Aberdeenshire). but the V5C shows it as having been first registered in 1989! Could it be that there was a separate registration authority in Scotland at the time, and this is when it was first registered in England. I'm not sure what, if anything, I should be telling the DVLA.

Many thanks,

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: Two questions from a new owner

Post by Rob Harknett »

The tap washers dry out. Try soaking them in petrol, or just replace the washers. 1989 will be a re registered date. Usually the document will also say Declared manufactured 1960. You may actually have an age related number, not the original reg. no. from when it was new. I could easily tell from the number if it is 1960 or age related.
clive

Post by clive »

In the 80s DVLA had some unusual practices with regard to registration documents if they had become parted from the bike. I had a 1949 G80 which was reregistered on an S plate. I was lucky as they sometimes issued a Q plate. Eventually they changed the rules and introduced the age related plate and I was allowed to get it changed.

I suggest you contact the dating officer, get his advice on which of the DVLA recognised forms he has, which relate to the frame number on your bike, and then apply to have the document altered to the correct date of manufacture. (There may be a small charge). This way you will benefit from free tax and as I believe they are rolling the MOT requirements that too.

Try replacing the cork seals in the taps first. You can buy them but you can also get away with using an old wine cork if you are patient cutting them out. One above one below the slide, they compress so cut them out thicker than what's left. The lines you will see in them are after use and do not need to be there in the replacement. Of course you have to find a bottle of wine that still has a cork in it and then drink it first.......
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Both

Thank you for your replies. Rob, the registration is USU234. Clive, I'll have a go with the corks, though it will be hard having to drink wine as well, but we must all make sacrifices... Does it matter if it's red or white? :)

Cheers,

Malc
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Age related plate. USU prefix was never issued other than by DVLA in 1989.
John Marshall
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

USU RR in my book, no date just RR re reg no.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

At least it is an age related number. It could have been an 'F' reg...Now I just need to sort the fuel tap out, plus whatever else I then discover.

Rob, what does 'RR' mean?

Cheers,

Malc
bob

Post by bob »

I posted on the Matchlessclueless site my method for making fuel tap corks .
I always make my own .
Its easy .
I find Red wine corks better quality than white wine corks ,
but then I drink more red than white .
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:Firstly, I discovered this evening that the push/pull fuel tap leaks like a sieve from the on/off bit. Any idea where I can get a replacement,
?

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... oducts.asp
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

MalcW wrote:At least it is an age related number. It could have been an 'F' reg...Now I just need to sort the fuel tap out, plus whatever else I then discover.

Rob, what does 'RR' mean?

Cheers,

Malc
Hi Malc,
RR stands for re reg
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...