Carb problem.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Carb problem.

Post by MalcW »

Hi all. I have recently bought an AJS Model 31 fitted with an Amal Concentric MK1 carburettor. I have found that if I nip up the nuts holding the carb to the inlet manifold, all is well. But if I fully tighten them the carb slide sticks. Anyone else come across this, or have any ideas? Thanks.
thornebt

Re: Carb problem.

Post by thornebt »

I think if you overtighten the nuts to the inlet manifold it distorts the body and can mis-shape the carb. That's certainly the case with the Monobloc carbs anyway. It's important to do them up just enough and use loctite, or maybe nyloc nuts. Bruce.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Short answer: You're distorting the body by over-tightening the nuts.

It depends what you mean by 'fully tightening' ?
They only need be tight enough to compress the 'O' ring and prevent the carb from coming loose whilst riding.
Over-tightening will squash any spacer at the stud holes and distort the carb flange/body.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I agree with both above. Its only a zinc casting and distorts easily. Use nylock nuts and tighten just enough to pinch the 'o' ring
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

In addition to the spot on advice given above, you may have inherited a carb where the flange has been distorted due to over tightening and nipping up may not allow the O ring to seal the joint.

I suggest you confirm that both the carb flange and the spacer are perfectly flat, check against a straight edge, (a good rule will suffice). If the flange is bowed it can be restored flat by taping a sheet of fine wet and dry paper, (around 400 grade), to a flat surface, (sheet of glass / MDF / surface plate), and linishing the flange face back to flat. If the carb was bowed I'd recommend replacing the spacer as a matter of course, (it's a lot more difficult to flatten a convex surface by hand).

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Thanks all. Mick, checked the flange with a straight edge and it's OK, so as the others pointed out I think I was just being a bit over enthusiastic about tightening it down.