Seized bolt in alloy casing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Seized bolt in alloy casing

Post by MalcW »

Hi all. The next step in commissioning my Model 31 is to sort out the clutch; the plates are stuck together where the bike was standing for some while. I have removed the LH exhaust, with only a small chunk out of my thumb as a result, and removed the footrest. I have now discovered that 1 bolt at the bottom of the alloy primary casing, and the drain screw, are stuck. I've tried an impact driver, but no joy. Any ideas before I resort to the drill?

Cheers,

Malc
cbranni

Re: Seized bolt in alloy casing

Post by cbranni »

If an impact driver won't shift it then it is really tight, try heating the alloy and letting it cool a few times, then use the impact driver, if that fails heat and then using hammer and punch hit the head of the screw repeat as required.

Last resort is to drill it out, impact driver always works for me after using heat, we are talking about an impact driver you hit with a hammer?

It's blood, sweat and tears job, you had the blood and the sweat, the tears come when the drill wanders and job ends up like a pig's ear

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would recommend patience and trying what has been advised. I would try not to resort drilling, all too often this can go wrong.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Bit of 'plus gas' might help and a long wait.
clive

Post by clive »

Try using the impact driver to tighten it first after the heating and cooling a few times. Then change to undoing.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Expat

Post by Expat »

Agree with previous posts re heat and ‘Plus Gas'. An older guy I once worked with showed me that trick on corroded screws....worked a treat.

Good luck.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A dodge I've used many times in the past is to MIG weld an old 1/4" drive socket extension onto the stuck fastener, (cardboard will shield the case from spatter if required) - the heat from the welding frees the fastener and the 1/4" drive allows it to be wound out with a ratchet / 'T' bar etc. Once out cut the fastener off the bar and it's ready to use again.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi

Many thanks for all the tips. A quick update: after leaving it overnight having been liberally sprayed with WD40 penetrating fluid, followed by the use this lunchtime of the biggest screwdriver I could find, a big old yankee screwdriver, both the stubborn bolt and the drain plug came free. The bike is now sitting with the primary casing draining into a drain can.
I would like to carry on with it this evening, but apparently I have to go up into the loft and get all of the Christmas decorations out.

Again, thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

Malc
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Ahhh............the annual visit to the loft, since I've been single I have really missed that chore :D :D :D :D
only dead fish go with the flow