What bike

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: What bike

Post by Rob Harknett »

Machine numbers would save all the guessing. 309 VT is 63/64 Stoke on Trent reg. no. 309 WT is 60 Essex reg.no.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

how do you arrive at Essex Rob?
my book shows Essex as follows EV. HK. NO. PU. OO. TW. VW. VX. and WC!,
kind regards
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The engine is certainly a 350 and with exposed pushrods so pre ‘62 and the oil tank transfer looks like the matchless laurels. The frame appears to be the duplex type but the photo is not good enough to make out the shape of the the oil tank but the petrol tank fitted to the bike has large knee rubbers so pre'63 whereas the other one is ‘63 on. The wheels do not look like interim type and are certainly not Norton so again pre ‘63. The mudguards however seem to have a central rib so could be ‘63 on. A bit of a mystery but looks like a good find.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

GOLDSTAR wrote:how do you arrive at Essex Rob?
my book shows Essex as follows EV. HK. NO. PU. OO. TW. VW. VX. and WC!,
kind regards
Just checked in daylight Richard, I can see I have made an error under dimed lighting. It does appear the number must be 309 VT. WT is not listed as a suffix.
I use Glass books published from 1937 onwards, as the older books also give yearly numbers, that can tie a number down, often to part of a certain year. I also have old Measham and Palgrave books. Plus later Woodall & Heaton which shows up re issues and age related. This combination of books often finds a number not found using just one book / publisher.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

righto Rob, I was a little confused I have a book which was circulated by the Met a few yrs ago pretty comprehensive, well at least up to the time of it's distribution. kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

GOLDSTAR wrote:righto Rob, I was a little confused I have a book which was circulated by the Met a few yrs ago pretty comprehensive, well at least up to the time of it's distribution. kind regards
Single letter F was also Essex Jan. 1904 to Mar. 1925. My book states it was reversed in Feb. 1957 to April 1958 allocated in blocks. I often spotted a very bent moped on my way to work mid 1980's. its reg. no. was 1 F.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

yup F-Figs 1903-1915.
Figs-F 1957-1958. kind regards
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I use Glass books published from 1937 onwards , should have gone to Specsavers ! :rofl:
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Received bike today, put the frame number online and it,s come back as a 1963 G80, I can find the gearbox number but see no Engine number, under the cylinder where all my other bike numbers are it is smooth, no numbers to be seen.
What will this mean, as I have the reg plate and a tax disc from 1977 showing same reg number but no v5) will I be able to get original number or will it be an age related plate?.
Am I looking in the wrong place?
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote: I have the reg plate and a tax disc from 1977 showing same reg number but no v5) will I be able to get original number or will it be an age related plate?.
Mike, the bottom line is that in order to have any chance of reclaiming the reg'n number you must have documentary evidence that links the frame number to the registration number. That would be a buff log book, the supplying dealer's original invoice (showing the frame and reg'n no.) or a copy of the official and original entry in their records by the reg'n number issuing authority. Reg'n plates and tax discs are not sufficient.
Is the reg'n number on the DVLA database?
The Dating info on this site provides all you need to know/do.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'