Chainguard

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

Chainguard

Post by mikeydpippin »

Has anyone got or have any idea where I can get a chainguard for a 1963 Matchless G80 500cc, or have a photo showing distances, so I have a clue what the guard looks like, so if I see one on my travels I have a clue to what it looks like.
A G3 guard is not the same.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Re: Chainguard

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think you will find rear chain guards are the same on road models. Only comp have a different part no.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Steve at AMC Classic supplied mine, (1961 G3), - he knows a chap that makes them. It took a while for the correct item to be available and required a little cosmetic fettling with a file prior to painting but the fit was spot on.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

For a 63 guard try club spares, they have 3 left Pt No. 900057 they are for the touring models with the Norton wheels and swing arm.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the replies, I attach a pic, is this Norton forks, different from my g3, noticeably the lug on the frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

mikeydpippin wrote:Thanks for the replies, I attach a pic, is this Norton forks, different from my g3, noticeably the lug on the frame.
It most certainly is and the guard has captive nuts welded to it so all the 2 bolts do is slide through the 2 tubes in the arm and Bob's your mothers brother!
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

From the photos you posted earlier you have AMC wheels not Norton, you also have teledraulic front forks not Roadholders. The part no. for the 1963 rear chain guard is 029469 and is the same for 350,500 and 650 tourers and for both 1963 and '64 according to the copy of the spares list for 63/64 on Christian's archives.
From my own machines I would say that the chainguard fitted to both my '63 bikes and those from 1964 and 1965 are also identical so I would go with Rob's suggestion of 900057 from the club spares.
The 1963 on bikes use a different swing arm to accommodate standard Girling units, they also use different spacers for the rear wheel for 1963 only,changing again in 1964 for the Norton wheels.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Reynard24 wrote:From the photos you posted earlier you have AMC wheels not Norton, you also have teledraulic front forks not Roadholders. The part no. for the 1963 rear chain guard is 029469 and is the same for 350,500 and 650 tourers and for both 1963 and '64 according to the copy of the spares list for 63/64 on Christian's archives.
From my own machines I would say that the chainguard fitted to both my '63 bikes and those from 1964 and 1965 are also identical so I would go with Rob's suggestion of 900057 from the club spares.
The 1963 on bikes use a different swing arm to accommodate standard Girling units, they also use different spacers for the rear wheel for 1963 only,changing again in 1964 for the Norton wheels.
I did mention the bike had wrong bits, not to be picky. You do need to know what's right and wrong to get parts to fit what you've got. So make a note of what your bike consists of.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Very helpful Thank-you I now realise I,ve not been sold a “one owner from new original” but a bit of a
Bitsa.
Will continue with the rebuild though, not sure yet whether to make a “pretty” rebuild ( ie powder coat tinware) or leave as is and run in its original state except with new tyres, rebore, front fork rebuild, and new seat.
I take it the unoriginal bits will make it safe to ride ?
Appreciate all the comments though, always room to learn, Thanks again.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As so many parts that will fit, are used over a few years, models and the two marques, many post war machines are found with non original parts. Just change what you yourself are not so happy about. You will need to know what parts are incorrect. You may find, spare parts are more easily obtained for the wrong parts of your bike.