Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mickm

SR1 Kill Switch

Post by mickm »

I've got a SR1mag on my M18s. How do I put a kill switch on it. Thanks
dave16mct

Re: SR1 Kill Switch

Post by dave16mct »

I think you can use the terminal on the side which goes straight to the points, but why not use the valve lifter?
Dave.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

while the bike is running, reach up to the connector on the spark plug, and carefully unplug it, be mindful to only shock yourself a little bit and watch out for burns, the head is hot. :rofl:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello Mickm,

More info's -->

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... 20ATDs.pdf

Spares in NL: http://www.theodole.nl

Ruddy ;)
Last edited by rudelan_LAPSED on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Groily

Post by Groily »

in conjunction with this maybe: http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... %20SR4.pdf
The pix aren't very clear in the Lucas parts books, but the cut-out works via a bendy tab on the side of the mag, on the low tension live wire from coil to points via condenser. Pushing the tab against the body of the mag shorts out the live and stops the spark.
How accessible the tab is on a mag mounted on the bike is another question though . . . It would be perfectly possible to run a wire to an earthing button on the 'bars however, for easy operation.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SR 1 Mag's were fitted to various engines. Cut outs were used on the mag's fitted on Stationary engines. Your bike engine has a valve lifter to assist starting and stopping the engine. If you have a problem doing that, then you do have a problem. Better to sort that out than mess with the mag. which will add something else which could go wrong. In the event of a valve lifter fault, if you cannot stop the engine ticking over, it can easily be stalled. In 60 years of riding I have never had the need to stop an engine other than the way the makers intended.
Groily

Post by Groily »

All true Rob.
But if a chap really wants a kill button as well as / instead of using the lifter . . . no reason why he can't have one, was my point. There are people who don't like using valve lifters for stopping engines, for whatever reasons.
If wired to a concealed on-off switch (maybe as well as to a push button), it is also an additional deterrent to casual theft or 'borrowing' I suppose. I have several bikes hooked up like that, although it's obviously only a minor impediment in Spriddler's world of magnetic signs, overalls and white vans (ref another recent post).
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Groily wrote:All true Rob.
But if a chap really wants a kill button as well as / instead of using the lifter . . . no reason why he can't have one, was my point. There are people who don't like using valve lifters for stopping engines, for whatever reasons.
If wired to a concealed on-off switch (maybe as well as to a push button), it is also an additional deterrent to casual theft or 'borrowing' I suppose. I have several bikes hooked up like that, although it's obviously only a minor impediment in Spriddler's world of magnetic signs, overalls and white vans (ref another recent post).
True, but I do wonder why? Kill buttons will invite problems. SR1 is a good almost water proof mag. Water could short it out if a kill button is fitted also wiring and button can fault. These problems I get with my twins. So do not invite them on my singles. Most old bike thieves know all the deterrent tricks. I brought a lightweight. Before trying to start I first checked the plug and tested it. No spark. I soon spotted a flick switch fitted in the bottom of the headlamp. Flicked it and got a spark. The switch would only deter a thief if it had a wiring fault or switch broken, me also.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I used to use the valve lifter but have now fitted a kill switch on the bars run from the cut out screw on the SR1.

It's easier when I fall off and can't easliy operate the valve lifter and the engine is still running.

I have been through torrential rain, water splash etc and no problem with the switch arrangement although this probably helped by the Avon handlebar fairing.

Johnny B