Burman CP oil seal carrier

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
hatrack

Re: Burman CP oil seal carrier

Post by hatrack »

As is Sunday and the howling east wind is making the new garage & workshop uninhabitable due to the garage door still not being fitted, I have been measuring and thinking about how a modern oil seal can be fitted.
I am sure that whoever devised the use of the 2"X 1.5"X .25" oil seal in a steel carrier which made it possible to be retained by the original circlip, knew what they were talking about.
However, it seems to me that the circlip and its groove only exist because of the type of early oil seal used in the '49 gearbox. This is a thin affair sandwiched between shims which needs the circlip to stop it falling out.
Modern oil seals are often fitted in a recess without the need of any circlip, even in engines, on crankshafts etc.
As a Metric 62mmX38mmX7mm would seem to be a very good fit, without the need for any adapting carrier or circlip, is there any sound reason not to do it this way?
Has it been tried befor?
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Well, now I have looked at the bits again, the circclip is a guard against the bearing moving outwardsand in turn allowing the drive gear shifting its position as well both with undesirable consequences.
I'm surprised I spotted this befor anybody else pointed out my error. :oops:
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Hatrack, see PM with dimensions. Andy
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Thanks to Andy for his very helpful offer, but AMC Classic spares, fresh from their Christmas/New Year break responded within 30 minutes of me sending an email this morning.
They have the oil seal carrier in stock and it is on its way to me.
They are a great supplier and this is a great forum!