Rigid Frame Measurements (Petrol Tank Mounting)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Dixter

Rigid Frame Measurements (Petrol Tank Mounting)

Post by Dixter »

I'm seeking the dimensions for the 4 petrol tank mounting points on a 1946 rigid frame. I found an earlier topic posted by Mr. Rob Harknett that showed the fore and aft measurement between mounting eyes, which is most helpful, but lack the side to side values.

I'm well acquainted with Christian's Archives, and have searched that excellent resource, to no avail, however, I might have missed it. Might someone know the dimensions, or better yet, have a spare original blueprint signed off by Mr. Collier?

Ciao,
Dick Casey
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Rob Harknett

Re: Rigid Frame Measurements (Petrol Tank Mounting)

Post by Rob Harknett »

I don't know how I managed to give fore and aft dimensions 1946 Dick. Maybe I found them somewhere. Are you sure what I gave was for 1946 and not 1936 or another later 1930's frame.
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Hi Rob, thank you and hope you are well, I'm traveling at present and do not have access to my files.

In any event, I'm still in need of the side to side dimensions, can you assist with these values?
Ciao,
Dick
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not for 1946 Dick . I could measure late 30's but don't know if 46 will be the same.
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Hi Rob: I would welcome any numbers you have on the side to side dimensions, even if they are as you say "late 30s". I think these will be of value, so kindly break out your yardstick...

Plowing back thru my notes I found this image from an earlier posting:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16575

This image:
Earlier post.png
I than looked up the frame number for a 1946 AJS at Christian's fabulous resource, and found this information;
frame from 46 Spares.png
I have a bit of dyslexia, but i think the salient difference between the various references is the text at the diagrams of the frame use slashes ( / ) as separators and the spares list uses dashes ( - ). Otherwise it appears AMC was using the same frame for a number of years prior to 1946.

I welcome any help you can extend with side to side dimensions.

Ciao,
Dick Casey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I remember now come I gave you he answer Dick, I have the book with that diagram, this one; http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... ndards.pdf
Something I never knew the answer to, but at the time knew where to find it.
You cannot go by the frame number. 1941 G3L started at 500. Then post war started at 500 again. In the prewar era every model prefix letter frame started at number 1 or 500 models. H,M,V,C,T,J,D,R,X, perhaps others I've missed. ( e.g. R models. R, R/2, R/3, R/S etc. ) So you need to know what model and / or era of a frame, to date a frame number made up of numbers only. Post circa 1954 frame numbers got an A prefix. Post war compt. models a C surfix
Before some one says that's nothing to do with answering the question, frame numbers were introduced into the topic which I have tried to explain, to the best of my knowledge. This makes it difficult date an early post war ridged frame. You first need to know if it is post war or WD.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

In one of Dicks pics. posted here is a 1946 frame showing old part numbers. A lot of old part numbers start with the last two digits of a year followed by a model , e.g. 35-G3-E**** 35 = year the part was introduced, G3 usually means smallest model it was used on. These parts were used in later years and on more than just the model seen in the number.
The frame part showing 41-G3L pt. no. So, anyone with a frame, WD or post war with that part of the frame having that part number, could answer Dicks question for measurements required.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Dick , assuming that you don't need the answer in the next couple of days . im just about to wheel my 46 G80L into the workshop ( kitchen ) for a gearbox rebuild during this week
I can take the measurements you need after that.

I really should schedule my maintenance ahead of time rather than 10 days before im using it to go to the Talmag pre 65 trial . only watching !
As Spridler knows , my garage is full and I have to move a few bikes around the house to get more in
its also slightly warmer in the house than the garage

Peter

update : bike is inside warming up for rebuild starting tomorrow
Last edited by g80csp11 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote:As Spriddler knows , my garage is full and I have to move a few bikes around the house to get more in
    its also slightly warmer in the house than the garage
    Well Peter, since you mentioned it, as it happens......
    .........................there are some in the garage.....
    CIMG4721 (640x480).jpg
    Another in the kitchen (with handy parts washer)..........
    CIMG4725 (625x469).jpg
    and another in the dining room.........
    CIMG4729 (640x480).jpg
    and that's not all!
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    'There is a tide in the affairs of men
    Which taken at the flood............'
    g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I guess I did ask for that !