Timing cover gaasket

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Timing cover gaasket

Post by MalcW »

Hi All

I can't see a Model 31/G12 timing cover gasket listed in the parts list. Have I missed it? If there isn't one I'll get some gasket paper. Also, what gasket sealant do people prefer these days?

Cheers,

Malc
dave16mct

Re: Timing cover gaasket

Post by dave16mct »

You have'nt missed it, there isn't one. I use Wellseal.
Cheers Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Not sure there is a gasket listed for the timing cover - I'm a big fan of Wellseal as a sealant - paint a thin layer onto both surfaces, wait a few minutes until it becomes tacky, bolt up, remove any excess squeezed out with petrol.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

Without wishing to teach egg sucking etc.etc. Ensure that both faces are flat, using a fine flat file. Especially over the fixing holes that can become raised. I Never use anything other than Welseal nowadays. Also, ensure that the threaded holes in the crank case are clean. It has been known for oily dirty deposits in the threaded holes to cause a hydrauic effect and split the case where the wall is a little thin.
Last edited by 1608 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Another thumbs up for Wellseal here :) Ive used it for years and would consider nothing else - certainly not any of the silicon sealants.
I recall reading somewhere, possibly an old article on engine overhaul that a single thread of soft twine, presumably thin too, can be laid along the joint face in the gasket goo and it takes up any irregularities. Not had the opportunity to try it yet though.

Just a word of warning for the vegan types amongst us ;) It's made with shellac. Millions of beetles gave their all to keep our oil where it should be and our old furniture shiny :D

Steve
Jonny Astro

Post by Jonny Astro »

Should Wellseal be used only on non-gasketed joints?
Can/should it be used instead of a gasket?
Should it be used as well as a gasket?
Jon
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If there is a gasket listed I use it in conjunction with Wellseal - in this case I coat both sides of the gasket and each of the casting mating faces with sealant.

Regards Mick
Jonny Astro

Post by Jonny Astro »

So what's the difference between Wellseal and red Hermetite, (now Hylotite I believe)?
Are they just two manufacturers' products with the same objective?
Jon
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I started out using Red Hermatite, graduated through Gold Hermatite to Blue Hylomar and finished up with Wellseal, from which I have had the most consistent success.

Just my personal experience.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

Take any old bike engine apart and you will find hardened residue of Hermatite! If that becomes dislodged then it can cause problems. Welseal is by far a more professional job, it does not harden with time. Can be used in place of a gasket or in conjunction with a gasket. As per the packaging instructions, Welseal is best applied with a small ( artists ) type brush and left to go tacky before application. I don't believe the timing cover on the twins is prone to leaking anyway. A small pool of oil will collect at the bottom so that is the area to consentrate on. Mine has never leaked :beer: :beer: