Polish Reccommendations

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Polish Reccommendations

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm wondering what the consensus is on products to maintain our machines in a condition to which we aspire.

In my case, I've restored my teenage transport to as near factory condition as I could and am keen to retain it as such. To this end I think a wax based cleaner / polish would be the best way to ward off the tin bug, (rust).

I'm thinking about the visible surfaces, not under the mudguards etc. where 'Waxoyl' heavyweight oils do the job.

I've searched the forum and found an interesting reference to Belgom products - are there any current users of these that could comment on their experience?

Are there any other products that members feel 'do a good job' and are worthy of a mention?

Regards Mick
clive

Re: Polish Reccommendations

Post by clive »

Cannot help never polished a bike yet :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

Beat me to it.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Each to his, (or her), own :roll: - but it's not really about buffing it up, it's more referenced to stopping it corroding.

Whilst I appreciate that it's nice to retain the original 'patina', there comes a point when a component can't be fully restored, so how are you halting the chemical progress? or are you happy to see it degenerate in your custody?

Sorry - gone 'off track now', any suggestions regarding good product experiences gratefully received :)

Regards Mick
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I do polish my bikes and they are kept outside and I use this. Unlike Turtle Wax it doesn't leave that dry powdery residue in nooks an crannies that you can't then get out.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/ ... d_589.html
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Maybe Roy could answer this important question for us, after all we know how fastidious he is about keeping his machinery polished. :rofl: :rofl:

Personally I prefer Autoglym.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

You tykes

:rofl:
Jonny Astro

Post by Jonny Astro »

When I was 17, (forty years ago....), I bought a Honda CB125S from a lecturer at my engineering college. It had over 20,000 miles on it and he had used it for commuting year-round. It was near-immaculate! He told me the secret - cheap floor wax. He stressed "cheap" - no silicone!
Wipe it on generously then buff it off he said.
Since then I have used this technique for all my bikes (25 and counting!) and it works for me. Initially it's quite hard to buff it to a shine, but after a few applications it gets a bit easier. It leaves a lovely deep shine and preserves the finish underneath really well. Don't use it on any surfaces that get hot though.
I've tried very expensive proprietary automotive waxes on my wife's Alfa and whilst these take less effort, the end result is no better in my opinion...
Jonny
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Gdańsk beach in Poland is a nice spot.

Rob C
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

yup use a good wax polish if you want to protect the bike finish, that wonderful stuff they advertise and demonstrate at shows is as said a ' showroom' finish and as such is very good, however the clue is in the word showroom, it shines like a tanner up a sweeps butt, in the showroom! but in my experience does not last outside of it, my twopenneth. kind regards