Dynamo dilemma

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trevor68

Dynamo dilemma

Post by Trevor68 »

Hello friends,As my dynamo was not charging i decided to investigate,after testing it i found it to be not working or out putting so thought i would either get a second hand one or buy a new refurb kit.Thi is where my troubles start,the dynamo i have is E3L-LI-O,20035A,when i looked this up it seems it is off a Bsa A10 twin,so i thought ok i wonder if i could just buy a new armature kit except all the ones that come up have a woodruff key at the drive end where as mine does not(it has not sheared off,there never was one) the sprocket has no slot for a key either so i am supposing it is a home made mish mash,does any one know the correct dynamo for my 1953 matchless g80s.
Regards Trevor
thornebt

Re: Dynamo dilemma

Post by thornebt »

I also had a E3L fitted to my G80S. The shorter E3N should be fitted. Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do not know what bike you have. All my old singles have a key.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

From memory my E3L shaft didn't have a key either. I'm sure the E3L has a higher output but it is a tight fit lengthwise. It's much easier fitting the E3N. I part exchanged my E3L for a reconditioned E3N - not cheap but it's good to have the correct dynamo fitted. Cheers. Bruce.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

are you sure the dynamo is not any good .
mine was not charging but it had oil inside which had got in via the seal end .
i cleaned the armature and field winding with brake cleaner and blew with compressed air and then dried the lot out , replaced the bearings and fitted new brushes and seal..

it works fine now but i note you need to get the revs to about 1200rpm before it "fires up " and makes the ammeter move , but this is what it says in the handbook about the dynamo function .

i think you can buy either type of armature .

you can flash the dynamo for polarising it easily if you find it is working the wrong way .

i did fit a new lucas ammeter as well but it was reading the wrong way round and so i had to swap the wires over on the terminals on the meter so it would read charging rather than discharging .

i found it better to run an old type headlamp bulb [not my LED] as then it will give better indication on the ammeter that you have charging .
because the LED didnt draw much current it was hard to get a decent reading on the ammeter when testing but with the old bulb you get a good discharge reading and then the ammeter will rise to positive charging when engine is revving over 1200rpm .

dont take it for gospel what the handbook says about the dynamo problems because it doesnt refer to problems with oil inside the dynamo and you may have an otherwise good dynamo.
Trevor68

Post by Trevor68 »

Thanks for all your answers,if the correct dynamo to be fitted to the bike is the E3N,Then this is what i will look for,if anyone knows where i can find a working one i would appreciate it.
regards Trevor
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't say which regulator you have. I had an AO solid state regulator which always seem to need a good blip on the throttle to wake it up (with or without the lights on). This wasn't necessary on the original mechanical one or the solid state regulator from Dynamo Regulators.

If money's no object and you do a lot of night-time riding and want powerful lights, heated grips etc. you could fit an Alton alternator at I think around £400. :shock: A pal has fitted one on his '52 500.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hasn't the world changed? I recall wishing that I had the E3L rather than the measly 42 od watts that I get.

But with the advent of the LED for stop/tail and elsewhere but not for the headlight where I've re-fitted the Halogen, I find that the ammeter balances at 30 mph.

So one can stay original!

Still to fit the pair of LED spotlights though. Revised my plan and will make up brackets to put them on the top fitting bolts for the handlebar fairing.

Johnny B