Cables and wiring

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Cables and wiring

Post by MalcW »

In time honoured tradition, control cables and wiring are held in place on my bike with black insulation tape. But how were they fixed ex factory?

Thanks,

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: Cables and wiring

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do believe they used the figure of 8 type black rubber ties.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This sort of thing?
Cable ties rubber (640x236).jpg
Available from

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I tried something similar and found the rubber too soft and the tag at the end just pulled through. Perhaps you will have more luck but I would try a single purchase first rather than a bulk buy.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have had them pull through, even in the 50's when they were made with real rubber. My fault for using the wrong size. I believe they came in 3 sizes. The most common was the middle size, suitable for handle bar dia. They should be loose fitting, not under tension so they do not pull through. Note the shape. The T end goes round the small wire or cable dia. The other end round the bar. This forms a figure of 8. Use that same size to secure the wiring loom to the tube under the petrol tank. Just in an O form not figure of 8. You will find it will only just about go round both the wiring and tube in one go. You may have to struggle to get the T end through the hole. It will be under tension and soon pull through.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

3 flat.jpg
tied.jpg
For size guidance here is a 3" tie. The small end will go round a brake cable dia. the larger a speedo cable dia. So I would think Sprids 4" example will be OK for handle bar to secure cable or wire. Or just about round the tube under the tank in an O. If tension allows you to fit it. Don't bother trying, it will soon pull through. These rubber ties seem to have replaced special metal C type clips used in the early years circa 1920's. These metal clips in various sizes were like this; cC best I can type it. Large C open at the back for a cable to fit in the small c. Large C clips on tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.