Help!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Feral

Help!

Post by Feral »

Hello to all!

I am new to the scene and the forum, so please be gentle.

I am hoping that the wise brains out there can enlighten me as to the lettering on my engine and gear box.

The engine number is 51/18CS 1XXX C. I understand the this translates to 1951, Model 18, Competition Sprung, individual engine number, but what does the suffix C mean?

The gear box number is G24 C 48. All that I think that I know is that it is a Burman. Any help deciphering this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a 1959 lightweight rolling chassis, but would like to put the engine into a heavyweight frame. Does anybody know if I can transfer components ie the forks, wheels, oil tank etc on to a heavyweight frame?

In the absence of a G80 or Model 18 frame, which other models/years can I use?

A lot of questions I know, any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rob Harknett

Re: Help!

Post by Rob Harknett »

C for competition looks like 1948 gearbox. Nothing much from a light weight is good for heavy weight. There also several light weight models, briefly 250 350 standard and CSR.
Feral

Post by Feral »

Rob, thanks for your swift response, but for clarification, are you talking about the C on the gear box standing for competition or the second C on the engine casing?

I was under the impression that the first C on the engine casing was the competition bit, but I am open to correction.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

C on the gearbox is the month code letter for March. I do not know what bike / model G24 is for. I do not know what the 2nd C on the engine is for. Sometimes you come across an odd letter stamped. This usually refers to something different to standard has been fitted. 1951 there was a shortage of Hoffman bearings, Skefko were used instead. There were other part differences if the Skefko bearings were used. Maybe the C relates to this? There is usually a difference of opinion as to what these odd stampings may relate to. So watch this space.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, John.
Feral wrote: The engine number is 51/18CS 1XXX C. I understand the this translates to 1951, Model 18, Competition Sprung, individual engine number, but what does the suffix C mean?
As said it's a 1951 (made between Sept '50 and August '51) AJS 500cc Competition engine, originally fitted in a Sprung frame. Like Rob said the suffix 'C' after the engine number is not common. Maybe a photo would give a clue as to whether it was an original or later stamping.
The gear box number is G24 C 48.
This is a Burman CP type gearbox which was used prior to the Burman B52 type. There is a guide to 'box numbers here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... umbers.pdf
Also, I have a 1959 lightweight rolling chassis, but would like to put the engine into a heavyweight frame. Does anybody know if I can transfer components ie the forks, wheels, oil tank etc on to a heavyweight frame?
No experience of fitting L/W parts onto a H/W frame, sorry.
In the absence of a G80 or Model 18 frame, which other models/years can I use?
You will have to refer to Spares Lists to see when the frames/engine plates etc changed.
Spares Lists and the Owners and Workshop Manuals can be found under 'Books' in the link below to Christians Archive. The same frames were used for Matchless and AJS marques. Consecutive frame numbers were used so the finished bike could be either an Ajay or a Matchless. Whether it left the factory as an Ajay or Matchless would be recorded and traceable only from the factory records, most of which are held by the club's Dating Officer.
http://archives.jampot.dk/

Be aware that if you want to register the finished (Bitsa) bike with an 'Age related' number to ride on the road the frame number will determine which year and marque or model it is, regardless of which AMC engine, gearbox, tank badges are used. BUT it will have to be inspected and comply with the DVLA criteria for 'Reconstructed vehicles' - see DVLA website, and the Club's Dating/Certificate of Authenticity service here:
http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

Hope the above links/references are enough reading for now!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Feral

Post by Feral »

Thanks for all the knowledge and advice.

That will get me started :D