Fork seals...

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Fork seals...

Post by REW »

The seals in my 1 1/8" forks are decades old and have had it. Got them out with a lot of pulling (tip: attach a 1/2" socket drive extension bar in the axle fixing on the slider, fix the extension in a big vice and pull downwards with all you can muster on the stanchion. I can't muster as much as some, but it works).

I now see there is no washer (014297) below the oil seal, on top of the plastic bush. The forks have been like this for as long as I know, so, is it worth fitting this washer? It might make the seal holder sit a bit proud though.

Any thoughts? Oh, and how much play would a new bush have? The old ones have very little play on a dry stanchion, but still, while in there. :?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
dave16mct

Re: Fork seals...

Post by dave16mct »

What year is it Ron? I don't remember a washer there. What purpose would it serve?
Cheers Dave
REW

Post by REW »

Dave, it's 51 and the parts list shows it. I can't see the need either, hence the question really.
Ron

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes it's strange that it's in the parts list but it isn't in the sectioned view of the fork leg or the exploded diagram in the manual. If there wasn't one in there I'd leave it out. Perhaps it's like the washer under the steering head adjuster on the '55. It's in the manual but no-body's ever seen one!
Cheers Dave.
REW

Post by REW »

Ah, that's interesting and sorts it I think - thanks!

Now, how tight do plastic upper bushes fit when new compared with used that have discernible but very little play on the stanchion when extracted and dry?
Ron

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If It was me I'd refit them unless you're changing to phosphor bronze. I've had brand new ones lock the forks and I've had to refit the old ones anyway!
REW

Post by REW »

That would be a pain and not that easy to resolve evenly with emery and a piece of dowel! I assume they are plastic so they wear sacrificially rather than the stanchions - is phosphor bronze soft enough to do the same?
Ron

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

REW wrote:That would be a pain and not that easy to resolve evenly with emery and a piece of dowel! I assume they are plastic so they wear sacrificially rather than the stanchions - is phosphor bronze soft enough to do the same?
Simple answer is phosphor bronze is fine but I'd do the same as Dave and fit the old ones back in. A slight amount of free play will have no adverse effect at all.
REW

Post by REW »

Thanks both, I will refit.

Nice stands btw ;)
Ron

REW

Post by REW »

dave16mct wrote:Yes it's strange that it's in the parts list but it isn't in the sectioned view of the fork leg or the exploded diagram in the manual... It's in the manual but no-body's ever seen one!
Cheers Dave.
I had a closer look at the old oil seals. They are steel all round and bear the number 17514. The lower face has a slight recess and in it sits a fibre washer! This washer is stuck to the seal by the oil but does separate easily so I guess few will have noticed it as it comes out with the seal. These very old seals clearly had a long life and if any were replaced back in the day that fibre washer may well have been bonded in place originally.

So why was it there? My guess is to spare direct metal contact with the brittle plastic bush when driving in the seal. Not such a risk with a modern rubber coated seal.

Detecting the obscure - bit of fun but probably pointless. I must fix this bike and get out more...
Ron