side stand spring

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
numbersix

side stand spring

Post by numbersix »

My recently-acquired 1957 G11 has the correct side stand (prop stand) and the spring is 'attached' to the right-hand lower frame member by means of a plastic cable tie. :shock:

My knowledge of AMC machines is limited, albeit growing steadily, but I think that this means of attachment is not to factory specification.....so would someone please let me know where the spring should be attached.
Allan.
dave16mct

Re: side stand spring

Post by dave16mct »

It depends, if you like the stand to flick up and the bike fall over on you (standard) , then look for 2 small holes opposite to the foot of the stand and use those. If on the other hand you want the stand to stay down until you ride off and it flings you off, or you flick it back with your boot, then look for holes near the front or make a small bracket and fix to the bottom engine stud. I prefer the latter, but at your own risk. :D
Cheers Dave.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Dave

Are there always two holes nearer the front? I'm blowed if I can find them on mine. I prefer my stand to remain down, so my shiny new stainless steel return spring, courtesy of the spares Scheme, is currently anchored by a small car exhaust clamp. very non standard, but it works, and you can't see it unless you're down on hands & knees.

Cheers,

Malc
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No not always. I have seen some there but I usually make a small bracket.
Cheers Dave.
numbersix

Post by numbersix »

Hmm... thanks for the replies.

The stand works with the spring 'anchored' in its current position, so I may substitute the plastic cable tie with a 'Jubilee' clip.
Allan.
raffles

Post by raffles »

The holes you need are in the right hand side bottom frame tubes. they are blind and can only be seen from underneath
with the bike leaning to the right. The spring then hooks into the frame. The holes will be there look harder.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Not on my bike the aren't. Looked and looked, no holes, so put jubilee clip around frame and hooked the spring into the free end. :)

The stock ‘stand up' holes are there, but no alternatives.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Same with mine; definitely no forward set of holes.

Malc
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Any chance a PO filled them when doing work on the frame?

I had no sidestand for the first 30 odd years and when I came to fit the spring just saw a dimple - I had the Matchless to pieces at one point and re-stove enamelled.

A little probing and there the hole(s) were.

Johnny B
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I am having the same problem, i.e. I have no forwards holes in the frame, 1960, only the rear two. The sidestand spring(non standard) was held with a jubilee clip.I now have correct spring but no forward holes.
Could somenone give me some idea how far forward they should be . i.e. are they forward of the foot rest etc?
Thanks