Rear View Mirror

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Rear View Mirror

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have conceded my neck is not as free to rotate as it was years ago and I'm considering fitting a rear view mirror, my initial thoughts are drifting towards a bar end mirror.

I've never used one of these so am seeking advice on how effective other users have found them, it would be fitted to a G3 and my local routes are not the smoothest country roads.

Would one work or would vibration render it an expensive ornament?

Regards Mick
raffles

Re: Rear View Mirror

Post by raffles »

I live in the countryside lots of potholes lots of bends and turns, have also used both of my current bikes on motorways
bar-end mirrors are the way to go buy the best you can get with a good sized mirror head. I have tried clamp to handlebar
type and they really do vibrate.
Tony
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Halcyon bar end mirrors are the best by a country mile. Either round head or rectangular. Ive got one fitted to each of my bikes. Not cheap by any means but you get what you pay for. As far as vibration goes it's not really an issue. You only need to know if something is behind you, you dont need to read the date on his tax disc (if he still had one of course) ;)

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I totally agree with Greybeard, Halcyon are the best. They're the only ones I've ever used that you can actually see anything behind you. All the others I have tried were useless and also fell to pieces. They're all stainless steel too.
Dave.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Ditto above, best by far, tried others but not so good.
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just to be different I use the following available from Alchemy bike parts

Pair of Fold In / Fold Up Satin Black 7/8" 22mm bar Motorcycle Motorbike Bar End Mirrors £23

They are brill! Small, don't vibrate, crystal clear, fully adjustable and easy to fit and remove if required and cost far less than a Halcyon. I used to fit Halcyon all the time but found them too big.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Non folding bar end will require more space getting in the shed etc. So a mirror clamped on the bars with an arm another option. I was told by a mate his mirror looks like a bit of frosted glass doing 154 mph. He got caught. But got away with a good telling off by a policeman his grandson age.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Another vote for folding mirrors, Halcyon are very good and there are options in glass size and shape, the mirror stem will always be at a slight angle, if you want the mirror stem to be vertical (for a narrower handlebar width) try the Napoleon ones from Iron Horse https://ironhorsespares.co.uk/ I find these good quality additionally you do not have to tighten the head on position either so they will move if hit/knocked.

I agree that stem ones do tend to vibrate too much.

The cheap bar end mirrors have a very poor fixing that often works loose and the quality of the mirror is often poor too distorting or magnifying the view too much.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Any mirror by Halcyon is good, you pay your money, the modern bar end mirrors are okay but the expander is way to weak.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

dave16mct wrote:I totally agree with Greybeard, Halcyon are the best. They're the only ones I've ever used that you can actually see anything behind you. All the others I have tried were useless and also fell to pieces. They're all stainless steel too.
Dave.
I have used these both nearside and off side and found them to be very good, would not ride without them.
Chemists do it with test tubes