Checking cylinder head bolts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Checking cylinder head bolts

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:Slight snag with my original idea to check the head studs for tightness - my torque spanner is 1/2" drive, and I have no 1/2" sockets that will fit down the holes. Anyone know the nut size? I could perhaps get a box spanner that fits, and then torque that?
You could get a suitable 3/8" drive socket that fits and a reducer (1/2" to 3/8" drive) for the torque wrench..........A box spanner would be o.k. though, and less costly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The nuts are 5/16" Whit - you can get a good quality set of Whit 3/8" drive sockets for less than £20, I can recommend these, you'll wonder how you managed without them.

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

MalcW wrote:Slight snag with my original idea to check the head studs for tightness - my torque spanner is 1/2" drive, and I have no 1/2" sockets that will fit down the holes. Anyone know the nut size? I could perhaps get a box spanner that fits, and then torque that?

Malc
If you have a 3/8" drive socket that fits in the hole, you can get a 1/2" ---> 3/8" adapter to use with your torque wrench.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:The nuts are 5/16" Whit - you can get a good quality set of Whit 3/8" drive sockets for less than £20, I can recommend these, you'll wonder how you managed without them.
I have to agree there, Mick. When I transferred permanently to 'bikes after years of crawling around under rotting MGB GT's I just carried on using my 1/2" socket sets bought during my auto apprenticeship 35 years previously and with later additions. The 1/2" sets are now rarely used as I find the 3/8" set far more handy and pleasurable to use.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
raffles

Post by raffles »

Unless you have a very late mod 31 the head nuts are 1/4 whitworth spanner size on 5/16 studs. The Club stock 3/8 drive
sockets which can be purchased singularly.
Tony
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Thanks Raffles, that's most useful info. I have found a box spanner that fits, and a socket that fits the other end of that, so I'll see how I get on. I squirted some WD40 penetrating oil on the nuts last night, as they don't look as if they've moved in a while.

EDIT

So, job done. The box spanner of unknown origin, coupled with a 1/2" socket and torque wrench worked, and happily none of the nuts were seized. Valve clearances next; 8 thou all round I believe.

Cheers,

Malc