Clutch lever 1951 G9

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Geoff Newis

Clutch lever 1951 G9

Post by Geoff Newis »

Can anyone give me the original factory measurement for the distance between the centers of the cable nipple and the bolt attaching the lever to handlebars. The reason I ask is that the only way I can prevent clutch drag is either by having no free play whatsoever or by fitting a lever from a Velocette with centers of 28mm (1 1/8th inch) my original lever measures 23mm (7/8th inch).

There is no wear on the clutch.

Many thanks,
Geoff
dave16mct

Re: Clutch lever 1951 G9

Post by dave16mct »

The only thing the 1 1/8" lever will do is move the pushrod further. It will be harder to pull. So something's wrong. Check you have the correct pushrod length. You have the ball bearing in place. You have adjusted the clutch pushrod (at gearbox end on CP box). You must have 1/32" clearance. Then adjust the handlebar lever 1/8" or so. Have you adjusted the springs on the clutch pressure plate as in the manual?
Dave.
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

Thanks Dave, I kind of guessed all is not well but I wanted to know whether or not the 7/8th (23mm) is correct as per original spec. before delving into the clutch. Can you help at all with that? I would have thought AMC would have fitted the same spec. levers to all their bikes of that era but I don't have any to compare at the moment.
Geoff
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I believe all clutch and brake levers were 7/8" pivots - if you're having issues with drag I suggest you look to the pressure plate spring adjustment, the plate needs to lift off as near parallel to the rest of the plates as possible.

Regards Mick
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

Thanks Mick,
That was the information I needed.
Best wishes,
Geoff