Re-shaping alloy mudguard ???

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uktom77

Re-shaping alloy mudguard ???

Post by uktom77 »

Hello all,

My wife ‘accidentally' reversed her car into my ‘52 18s yesterday knocking it over and (as far as I can see so far - not had time to check properly yet) only caused minor damage.

The alloy CS type mudguard is crumpled at the rear where the impact was. Has anybody got any experience and tips on getting it back in to shape....... or am I wasting my time?

Thought I'd ask before the I begin the task (and swearing under my breath when it doesn't go to plan).

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Re: Re-shaping alloy mudguard ???

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Not easy without seeing the damage but if rolled beads are not involved you can probably tap it out using bodywork hammers, you may need to anneal the alloy first - smear with soap and heat with a torch from the other side until the soap turns dark brown.

Regards Mick
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Thanks Mick,

Can't really bring myself to go and look at it properly yet, silly I know but I may find my blood boiling! I think I've just been given the excuse to buy a blow-torch though!

Good tip about the soap, thanks.

It's no show winner and not original as I like a bit of patina but I draw the line at the ‘I've been run-over' look

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I understand, but look on the bright side, she's given you the excuse to buy something like this :)

And to increase your skills set - got to love em ;)

Regards Mick
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Brilliant! I've just signed in to her Amazon account and added it to her ‘wish list' 🤣 Big enough hint I reckon. I like the idea of ‘skill set improvement'.

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A dog ran out into me on my CSR, front guard looked crumpled and awful. Working from the outer edge of the denting inwards, I managed to re shape it using a ball end hammer covered with rag. To my surprise it straighten out perfect without stretching the alloy. just a slight scratch to polish out. The foot brake was also bent under the footrest. That also straightened out OK in the vice.
clive

Post by clive »

Did the dog respond well to the hammer too Rob?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Be careful with the alloy, hammering it could easily stretch the metal and make it impossible to retain the original shape. The best way to reshape aluminium is to press it back into shape. Place the bent object onto a firm surface, perhaps a wooden block with a layer of thick blanket to protect the surface of the alloy. Using pieces of wood with rounded ends ( hammer handles or similar) then press the mudguard back into shape. You can use a hard rubber hammer to get the metal near it's original shape.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Like the previous post says you don't want to stretch the alloy , you could try a narrow rubber wallpaper seam roller and work from outer to inwards if possible, doing as been suggested on a firm base covered by old blanket, softly ,softly does it if you can make a template of the un damaged section out of stiff card to give you a guide and keep checking it's so easy to stretch ally and it becomes work hardend.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I discovered years ago alloy will stretch quite easily. I tried knocking out a wing on a wooden framed alloy skin 1955 Reliant. I ended up with a bubble. So had to settle for that, but not for long. First trip out, a car knocked it back in again trying to park next to me. Driver said sorry mate, I was watching my dog. Did not have a hammer with me then Clive. The car park was in a car breakers yard. :headbang: