Fork slider stripped thread

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
silverbob

Fork slider stripped thread

Post by silverbob »

Hi guys have just found a stripped thread where the brake anchor, bolts to the forks on a G5 . Have looked on the Webb and found kits for Helicoil and V coil. Has anyone had experience with these or any recommendations as it is one job I have never needed to do. Have searched the forum but can find no mention. Bob
Mick D

Re: Fork slider stripped thread

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Helicoils are very good and fairly easy to install, the most critical part is drilling out the damaged thread, you must follow the axis of the original thread. If you have a drill press I'd use that, if not make sure you keep the drill aligned as you go. Ditto with the tap when you are tapping the new thread.

Regards Mick
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I would agree with Mick that drilling out the old thread is critical. Do not try to drill using a hand drill - very few people have that degree of hand/eye coordination. Put it in a drill press and make sure it is prperly aligned and firmly secured. Set the depth stop on the press - you do not want to break through! Also, use the drill press to start the tap, turning by hand, to ensure thread does not go 'wonky'. Best of luck, Andy
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Have not got a drill press but have drilled out many holes due to broken studs and re tapped holes all with a hand held drill was looking to do the job just by removing wheel and mudguard and turning the fork slider round to make it accessible
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like you know what your doing and your method will work. I'd suggest immobilising the fork leg, (to stop it rotating when your drilling), by either fitting a dummy spindle or re-fitting the wheel with the leg rotated 180 degrees.

Regards Mick
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Have had a good look at sliders and holes are very shallow so looking around for drill press. Have checked threads and they are BSF 5/16 x 22 but mudguard stays bottom of sliders are BSW 5/16 x 18 as both threads are into ally should they both be the same thread. bob
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

They should both be 5/16" BSF, but if the bottom ones are OK I'd leave them alone. (If it aint broke don't fix it).
Dave.
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi have just spoken to Les at Russels and he agrees with you. As I am re tapping the threads I thought I would double check and re tap top holes only with correct threads getting helicoil tomorrow. Ordering a drill press as soon as I decide on which one, some cheap ones on ebay just looking at reviews to decide. Bob
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

silverbob wrote: have just found a stripped thread where the brake anchor, bolts to the forks on a G5 .
Just sayin'.......and you may already be aware that the torque arm isn't bolted to the slider but fits on studs in the slider. It's an important difference since studs eliminate the need to remove bolts and consequently cause wear or damage to the tapped holes (which, from what you said, may be what has happened to yours).
The torque arm studs on my slider have been Helicoiled many thousands of miles ago and are still 100% o.k.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

HI should there be studs on both sliders. When unbolting mudguard with bridge attached there is no flex in mudguard, which means removing bridge piece and fitting first is this the correct way .Bob