1955 AJS 16MS Dynamo Sprocket

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Steven S

Re: 1955 AJS 16MS Dynamo Sprocket

Post by Steven S »

This is the later type of dynamo sprocket introduced for the AMC gearbox models, hence the different dimensions (part no. 023135). It's easily identifiable by the beefed-up area where it fits to the armature (just visible in the photo). There was a different nut specified for this sprocket (023118) which must have been a deeper version to fit the larger recess. All I know is that it was 5/8" long but I guess in all other respects it's the same as the usual 000611 nut.

Either way I'd be looking for the proper sprocket - aside from the nut issue, the dynamo will have to be positioned further from the chaincase than usual to get the right chain alignment.

Steve
whitebrian

Post by whitebrian »

Thanks Steven - sounds like best explanation so far. Going to buy correct sprocket from AMOC Spares. Brian
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'm going to outrage everyone but...........

I had always used the standard fitting as shown earlier in this thread.

Had the mag and dynamo "done" by Tony Cooper and also had a great (and ong) listen to him and his intention to get a racing licence again. He mentioned that he didn't advocate using the standard set up but supplied a very robust spring washer and advised using this with Loctite.

Against my better judgement I took his advice.

Three years later, lots of miles, two "offs" and a engine self destructing in Germany and all's still good in the dynamo sprocket department.

But I do advocate getting the chain runs perfect and fitting the dynamo strip to make sure it stays that way.

Johnny B

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Resurrecting this thread. I find that I do have to have my dynamo a long way to the offside to get the chain run to align properly. There's a large gap between the back of the chaincase and the dynamo. The sprocket end plate of the dynamo is always very close to the engine plate but I noticed it even more when re-assembling this time. It makes using the locating strip awkward.

It's the same sprocket that was on the Matchless when I bought it all those decades ago.

Should I be using a different sprocket as per Steve S's post on this thread?

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

Decided to stick with the sprocket I have. After all, why spend £60+ to replace something that is in good condition and has worked fine? I can put up with the gap between the dynamo case and the rear of the chaincase.

Spent a pleasant 45 minutes inserting and removing the dynamo until the chain runs were perfect.

Cheers

Johnny B