LED headlamp

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

LED headlamp

Post by MalcW »

Hi

I've seen various threads about LED headlamps, and whether they are better or worse, focus-wise. The newest ones are supposed to be OK, and anything has to be better than the headlamp fading away 1/2 way home because my dynamo can't keep up. But what I need to know is whether an H4 LED bulb will clear the speedo cable, as my 650 has the speedo in the nacelle, and most of these bulbs seem to have a large bit sticking out the back. All advice welcome, as they're not cheap and I'd rather know in advance.

Thanks,

Malc
dave16mct

Re: LED headlamp

Post by dave16mct »

No there isn't room for the type with the rear heatsink and fan. I use one like this with a fan at the front.
ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-H4-COB-LE ... :g:EgQAAOS
I use a cheap h4 headlight reflector and the result is a bright light which has a good dip and head. It won't fit in a Wipac Quadroptic reflector as this has a metal fitting inside so only narrow bulb will fit.
Some members say the Double Dipper type is very good now and uses the original bulb fitting and reflector.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-H4-6000K ... D1%26asc%3

Dave
Last edited by dave16mct on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Dave

That looks like it's worth a try, and a sensible price too. Thanks.

Malc
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Don't forget they're 12volt negative earth. If you're on 6v you can use a voltage step-up like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 0&_sacat=0
You can wire it the other way round through the dipswitch to get around the negative earth.
Dave.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Dave

That's a good point; mine is currently a positive earth.

Cheers,

Malc
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I use a LED on my 46 G80 , no step up system and its fantastic much better than the old one
as far as running on positive earth , just run the alter the wiring to he bulb to switched earth (+ve on dip switch ) to the bulb and negative to bulb
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

dave16mct wrote:No there isn't room for the type with the rear heatsink and fan. I use one like this with a fan at the front.
ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-H4-COB-LE ... :g:EgQAAOS
I use a cheap h4 headlight reflector and the result is a bright light which has a good dip and head. It won't fit in a Wipac Quadroptic reflector as this has a metal fitting inside so only narrow bulb will fit.
Some members say the Double Dipper type is very good now and uses the original bulb fitting and reflector.
Dave
Hi Dave
Seems to be a problem with the link
Regards
Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Sorry Jim, I'll try this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-H4-6000K ... %3D1%26asc

It isn't the actual one I bought but there's lots of them on ebay, some based in UK.

Dave.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i had a bpf type led bulb in my headlight but although it worked ok and draws little current i have gone back to a normal filament type bulb due to the fact i couldnt see if the dynamo was charging , and then ended up with a flat battery recently and a dynamo in need of rebuilding .
i had oil in the dynamo , had to clean it and put in new brushes and bearings and seals .
with the bpf bulb i get better beam pattern and also see some deflection on the ammeter , so that suits me more .

the one problem i had with my led when it was in was flickering , i added extra earth wire and it still did it , not to say it will do it with anyone else but with the filament bulb it doesnt do that .

i use leds in my car , they work ok but the light is not good for wet dark roads , but it is much more freindly on the alternator and so i kept them in .

ian