Hylomar or Wellseal

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Hylomar or Wellseal

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again. I'm working on the wife's bike at the moment and getting ready to put the engine back together. The casings are soaking in an Ariel liquid bath as we speak to get them lovely and clean.

In the past I've always used Blue Hylomar with my gaskets as a sealant but am hearing more about a product called Wellseal.

Are there any opinions as to the efficacy of Wellseal and do people think it better than Hylomar? Please let me know.

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Richard Mills

Re: Hylomar or Wellseal

Post by Richard Mills »

I have been using Wellseal lately (can anyone tell me how to stop the tube getting such a sticky mess?!). Liked Blue Hymolar, but the product changed (I heard that it was because of health and safety concerns) and I no longer find that I can spread it evenly; it is now horrible to use and I only use it on petrol tap threads etc. (if not using PTFE tape) where Wellseal is useless.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Wellseal is great stuff. It's non-setting so lasts for ever in the tube. Keep it upright in a small box etc and use a small artist's brush to apply it.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I use Wellseal all of the time now, I find it much easier to apply than the Hermatites / Hylomars. I dribble a little around the joint and then spread it with a wooden coffee stirrer - wipe off any 'squeeze out' using petrol on a bit of kitchen roll.

As said above, wiping off any spill on the tube with the petrol and kitchen towel and storing the tube cap uppermost will keep it clean.

Regards Mick
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Wellseal for me every time. It does not set and allows the re-use of paper gaskets. I used it on a Sunbeam S7 solid copper head gasket which are notoriously difficult to seal as recommended by the club and it is holding fine.
It is important to coat all mating surfaces - I use a small artists brush which fits in the tube nozzle and put on a thin coat or there will be lots of ooze.
The other thing is to allow at least five minutes to become tacky, more if possible. On vital joints I leave it overnight before assembly.
Cleans up best with cellulose thinners.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I use wellseal. I think the five minutes setting time before assembly is designed so you can get a cup of tea in. Well that what i tell the wife. You cant hurry a cup of tea. And i use a coffee stirring stick given freely away from Mc D's. i just file the ends square for better coverage.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Wellseal for me every time.Had not heard of it until I got the G3, nearly three years ago now. Only complaint is the tube has developed a few pinholes so makes a right mess.
Have it wrapped in paper in a ziplock bag, and no, I hadn't abused the tube to cause it to leak. :lol:

Went for a short spin on the bike today. Bloody great and love to see the quizzical looks on the faces of other road users.

‘Wait, that's not a Hardly'. :lol:

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
spookefoote1956

Don't you just love burning a Hardly Capable ..................... literally!
shifter

Post by shifter »

Wellseal for me all the time gets the job done, long gone are the days of using blue or orange hematite
?
spookefoote1956

Thanks one and all. I am off to the shops to get me some Wellseal.