Starting!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Re: Starting!

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like you could be making your adjustments before the engine is fully warmed up.

Make your adjustments after you've been for a ride and then go for another - does the engine perform the same or is it still variable?

Regards Mick
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Mick, tried adjustment cold and hot always starting at 1 3/4 turns out on mixture. Itll start and tick over lovely both hot and cold but give her a rev and tickover goes to hell. Either speeds up to like tickover plus 200 or dies. If i adjust tick over itll come back to normal till the next throttle twist. If it wasnt for the fact bars are straight ahead id blame the cable!
Highlander, "There can be only one"…
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hi Pete,
Have a similar issue with my G3 but not quite so extreme and only when engine is really hot, after sitting in traffic for ages etc.

Ticks over nicely when cold and warm and after normal cruising around. Plug is a little sooty, air screw about 1 3/4 turns out like yours and ample slack in the cable. New carb with oem air filter and 200 main jet, needle clip in center.

Tried spraying brake cleaner around inlet and carb area, but speed not affected by it.

Almost seems as if mine is a bit rich, so may drop the needle a notch, but like you, I can't understand the racing at closed throttle when hot.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Big Pete wrote: id blame the cable!
Hi Pete

That could be your problem - with the engine off open the throttle and close it slowly, now inspect the ferrule at the twist grip for play - do the same after opening the throttle and closing quickly, is the play the same?

If there's play, does tapping the carb get rid of it?

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

Check the main jet hasn't come loose.
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Thanks for the tips lads. Ill report back after ive had a look.
Highlander, "There can be only one"…