1955 g3lcs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
arty

1955 g3lcs

Post by arty »

The brake drum on my bike has got a small amount of play between the driving pins and the brake drum, I noticed that the 1957 on models had a different driving pin with a rubber cover over them, was this to correct the wear problem on the 55/56 models?.

My question, can the 55/56 brake drum be modified to accept the later pins with the rubber cover?.

Thanks Arty
arty

1955 g3lcs

Post by arty »

Is it possible to modify the 1955/56 brake drum to accept the later 1957 on driving pins that had the rubber cushioned pins, did they have a larger o.d. for example?
alanengineer

Re: 1955 g3lcs

Post by alanengineer »

Its easier to get a replacement hub than modify what you have
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Loosen the pins and give them a 1/4 turn this should improve matters a bit, I don't believe that the drums can be modified as the later ones have a larger bearing surface for the rubber. If you have the tools and ability the drum pin holes can be reamed back to round and a larger hardened drive pin made but you do need to be accurate.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1955 was the first year of the full width rear hub, it had metal pins in metal holes. I had one when it was less than a year old. Each pin had and needs clearance. So you will have 5 X that clearance play. If you get the wheel as new it will still snatch. Probably why it was changed so quickly. If you want improvement on the 1955 model, I think the answer to your question will be do as the factory did. Which is what has been more or less already stated. The later type rubber may wear faster also may get stuck on also more difficult to get back in due to less clearance. Your all metal 55 wheel has now lasted 63 years. Noisy, but it has lasted a life time for a few owners already, your choice if you choose to add another life times use of it. How long will rubber last?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I would add that your subject bike is listed as a comp 350 LCS and if it truly is one then the bike wouldn't have had a QD set up in the first place as all comps were fitted with fixed drum sprockets. However I would gues that it's probably just a LS with the QD set up. Options open to you are those already mentioned or lock the sprocket up solid and forget the QD bit.
arty

Post by arty »

Thanks for the advice gents, I bought the bike a while ago and have just now started to restore it and am trying to address the faults as I find them, I have the original buff log book and its registered as a g3lcs in there so if the hub isn't correct it's been changed by a previous owner.
Regards Fred
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Fred, if you're the same person who logs into the Membership system as "Arty", send me a confirmation email to webmaster@jampot.com so I can link your Forum account with your Membership account. At present the Forum doesn't recognise you as a club member and so will limit what you see and how others see you.
Corners like a Lego man
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

arty85 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents, I bought the bike a while ago and have just now started to restore it and am trying to address the faults as I find them, I have the original buff log book and its registered as a g3lcs in there so if the hub isn't correct it's been changed by a previous owner.
Regards Fred
If as suspected you are actually a full member as Eamonn has mentioned then once he's sorted out your status post some pictures of the bike. As it's registered as a LCS then go the easy route and bolt the sprocket solid.
clive

Post by clive »

arty85 wrote:Is it possible to modify the 1955/56 brake drum to accept the later 1957 on driving pins that had the rubber cushioned pins, did they have a larger o.d. for example?
No it is not possible to modify the brake drum. The hub has different centres for the pins which are set in a wider circle to allow for the bigger combined width of pin and rubber surround.

A modification you can make to the original hub arrangement was to fit a slight oversize pin. These was issued by AMC and Les at Russels stocked them only problem was to find the right ones he wanted you to bring in the brake drum to marry them up. It also requires you to open up the hole as it will have worn slightly oval. The modification is a two piece arrangement with a bolt and a collar rather than the single pin. Those with a lathe could make their own.

I updated mine fitted to a G11Cs and over 12000 miles later there is not much play. I do have the AMC box with cush rubber clutch which may help.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix