1953 AJS 350cc Wiring Harness

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clive

Re: 1953 AJS 350cc Wiring Harness

Post by clive »

Andy51 wrote:AO Services (advertise in the Jampot) sell wiring kits with all the right wires. ........Andy
Better start charging him for the advert then.
Its actually Colin Farrington of Catmando services who advertises in the magazine. I can confirm from personal experience that his wiring is excellent, just don't allow a stray wire strand to touch earth as you wire up the dipswitch!
Clive Adverts Editor.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:
Andy51 wrote:AO Services (advertise in the Jampot) sell wiring kits with all the right wires. ........Andy
Better start charging him for the advert then.
Its actually Colin Farrington of Catmando services who advertises in the magazine. I can confirm from personal experience that his wiring is excellent,
I can recommend Catmando, too. I bought a wiring harness from Catmando a few years ago after I'd melted my ignition switch and connected wiring on my lightweight during the Westward Ho! Run. Fitting it was very easy when following the instructions and I'm embarrassed to say that the only problem I've had with it since was caused by a dodgy connection I'd made for fastening to one of the new batteries. Still, who needs lights in the dark anyway? :oops:
just don't allow a stray wire strand to touch earth as you wire up the dipswitch!
Clive Adverts Editor.
Surely that shouldn't cause a problem when you've disconnected the battery before messing with the wiring.
Paul Bowker

Post by Paul Bowker »

Thank you for so many helpful replies and for the invite to the local club. Much appreciated. Paul
clive

Post by clive »

Of course i had the battery disconnected Janet but you have to connect it up some time if you want the lights to work. Blew the fuse every time.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club and the Forums, Paul.
I don't know whether the wiring looms have provision for one but it's a very good idea to fit a fuse in one of the battery leads, close to the battery. I use a blade type and fitted in the battery carrier box. A 10 amp fuse should be sufficient.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:Of course i had the battery disconnected Janet but you have to connect it up some time if you want the lights to work.
You do indeed. Your words "as you wire up" made me think you were doing it 'live'.