Lightweight ignition/lighting switches

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AL_T

Lightweight ignition/lighting switches

Post by AL_T »

Does anyone know whether the ignition and lighting switches on a lightweight are identical in their switching?

I recently bought a 1966 model 14 CSR.
It runs fine, but it's not charging, lights on or off.
When I began going through the circuits using the wiring diagram, I started with the switches on the headlamp.
I found that what should be the ignition switch has "L" stamped on each contact.
Could that mean "L" for Lighting switch?
It seems suspicious, could it be that a previous owner put a lighting switch in as an ignition switch?
Could that be the reason it doesn't charge the battery?
Any ideas much appreciated.
Al
Rob Harknett

Re: Lightweight ignition/lighting switches

Post by Rob Harknett »

The actual switch may just have the wrong knob on it. Lights had H on left L right, ignition I left E ( emergency ) right. Both off when central. There was a design change with knobs stating Hi Lo and Ign Emg. If it has the wrong knob, just turn left for ignition right for emergency ignition. I do not think it would have two actual light switches. As wiring plugs into the switch. Seems you have a wiring or Alternator problem, so start perhaps by checking the fuse/ wiring then alternator. Some one will come along perhaps and know just whats wrong from experience.
Janet

Post by Janet »

The switch bodies are the same. The knobs push on in exactly the same way but, as Rob said, they have different letters on them and a previous owner may have changed one for some reason. They only turn clockwise and anticlockwise, with the off position being central. If you look at your loom in the headlamp, one of the plugs should be black and the other blue, but I can't remember which colour goes on which switch. I know my original ignition plug was black but that was after I set fire to it.

A different knob wouldn't stop it charging. Start looking for the simple things, eg loose or corroded connections, and, my favourite, a dodgy earth. Broken wires within the harness are more difficult to find. When you've exhausted all the cheap options, start looking at the more costly items.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:The switch bodies are the same. The knobs push on in exactly the same way but, as Rob said, they have different letters on them and a previous owner may have changed one for some reason. They only turn clockwise and anticlockwise, with the off position being central. If you look at your loom in the headlamp, one of the plugs should be black and the other blue, but I can't remember which colour goes on which switch. I know my original ignition plug was black but that was after I set fire to it.

A different knob wouldn't stop it charging. Start looking for the simple things, eg loose or corroded connections, and, my favourite, a dodgy earth. Broken wires within the harness are more difficult to find. When you've exhausted all the cheap options, start looking at the more costly items.
I could not recall what way round the switch plugs fitted. I was sure the fitting pins differed, so I checked. Fitting does in fact differ so impossible to plug them in the wrong way round. Whew... that's something we no need to remember Janet. Unless you happen to get hold of one of my light weights. Which has a dummy ignition switch. I have a Keyed ignition switch on the tool box lid. Only the key lock seen on the outside. Just trying to remember where I put that key. :headbang:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_12 November 2018_19h53m29s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AL_T

Post by AL_T »

Great, thanks to everybody.
It would have made manufacturing sense to have the two switch bodies identical in their switching.
I was just a bit concerned that each of the 9x brass pins below the body of the ignition switch has "L" stamped on it.
I thought the bike might have had a "L" for lighting switch in the place of the ignition switch.
All is now clear, the switches are identical, ignition and lighting.

I now have the ignition switch in bits anyway, the internals need a good clean after 50+ years of corrosion build-up.
What should have been making good contact was reading in the hundreds of Ohms.

Will go through the loom next with my AVO meter, will post results.
Al