Headlamp rim clip and screw

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Headlamp rim clip and screw

Post by REW »

I had to cut a new slot in the screw to get any purchase with a screwdriver when gaining access to the internal wiring today. 'Cos the screw is brass it was easy enough to do and avoid catching the headlamp shell. Looks a mess though.

Does anyone know what the thread on that screw is please? I want to buy a stainless item and shape it rather than buy a modern clip replacement with the odd looking screw head they come with. Does it matter? Probably not but it fills the time while strictly is on :roll:
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Re: Headlamp rim clip and screw

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Ron

I was having a bit of trouble with the rim clip with the Avon fairing and made up a new clip, drilled and tapped using Mum's old BA taps and re-used my somewhat damaged screw. Damned if I can remember what size the tap was though.

Not a lot of help.

I'm at Bishop tomorrow but on Friday I'll see if I can find the old clip and work it out that way. Failing that I'll pop it off again and put a BA die to the screw.

Cheers

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

Ah, sounds like it's a BA thread then - I can perhaps work it out from that. Thanks Johnny!
Ron

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is about the cheapest clip & screw Ron.
Ashampoo_Snap_21 November 2018_20h10m18s_002_.png
They can bend or not grip, I will guess the screw is 2BA. If 4BA you may find a screw in an household light fitting will fit. Even if the clip base is slightly bowed, grip is lost and the rim will pop off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

As I found out when setting off for Celles sur Belle. Started up, off centre stand and headlamp fell out; first time ever. Thanks to Spriddler I called in at his after riding down to Sussex and he swapped one out of his and into mine.

I did reimburse him!

Good job I had the nice new reflector it was so wet and dingy.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

56G80S wrote:As I found out when setting off for Celles sur Belle. Started up, off centre stand and headlamp fell out; first time ever. Thanks to Spriddler I called in at his after riding down to Sussex and he swapped one out of his and into mine.

I did reimburse him!

Good job I had the nice new reflector it was so wet and dingy.

Johnny B
Could have been due to giving the screw an extra little nip up before going on a long journey. By just starting up, vibration may have cause the screw to jump what little thread there is in the clip, and come loose. Hint Ron, if the screw got damaged when tightening, Then clip thread may also be damaged. Same old PS. don't ask me how I know. Happened many times for me back in the 50's when I had an Avon fairing fitted. Its even more difficult to tighten the rim clip, with the back end through a slot in Glass fibre. Because the clip catching in the rim and fairing may not line up so good, so the clip is horizontal.
REW

Post by REW »

Turns out the screws are Lucas part num 99-1189 and are UNF 3/16 diam by 5/8 under head and 3/8 head diameter. Called "beehive" head. Google is your friend eh? Found in several places incl the bay.
Ron

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hope you find a better price for the screw than owners of Norton are offered Ron, Get the screw plus clip for £2.35 to suit your bike.
Ashampoo_Snap_22 November 2018_11h21m27s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Oh dear.

What have I done then? Mine looked like an "original" clip but who knows what happened between 1956 and the mid '70s?

Maybe it was an aftermarket clip and screw.

Certainly not original now as I made a clip slightly longer to make location easier.

Didn't ride to Bishop like I planned but went in the car.

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

If the clip fits, use it!

I walked into town today and it is foul out so the car is undoubtedly the best option Johnny.
Ron