Mystery Headlamp

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Mystery Headlamp

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As I've yet to find my next restoration and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms I thought I might undertake a Smiths chronometric speedo restoration.

I've had this headlight lying in the garage for a couple of decades now and I've no idea what model bike it originally came from.
Mystery H Lamp.png
It's a 7.5" diameter Lucas, (from the badge), probably an MCH61 model and is fitted with a Lucas PRS8 combined, (keyed), ignition / light switch.
From the Lucas documentation, these were fitted to Nortons and Panthers, (the colour makes me think more Norton).

The speedo however does not match any of the images I can find online for these types:
Mystery Speedo.png
Can anyone shed any light on the origin of this headlight and speedo?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Mystery Headlamp

Post by Rob Harknett »

Speedo could be from a car. I think a clue may be, look where the trip winder is. If it's in the side at the bottom, could mean car. So you could reach under the dash board to operate the trip. There's not room for the Lucas badge on MCH 61, I think its MCH 55. MCH only seems to have been used on some models by Panther, circa 19956/7. Also on Vincent Black Shadow 1955. So I guess it has to be for a Vincent, to be worth more. Speedo may even be Vincent if the tip is at the bottom of the speedo.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The speedo is from a Triumph, eg Thunderbird, probably mid fifties. Usually refered to as the 'Revolator'. I'm pretty sure the headlamp is Norton, early sixties.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Why does it have printed on the dial '2nd', '3rd', '4th' :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That's the revs in the gears at that speed.
Dave.
Groily

Post by Groily »

I also think the speedo is prob from a Triumph (what with the gear speeds marked). Did anyone else do that, barring the separate matching (static) dial on Rudges?

The MCH61 appeared on (at least) '57 Mod 50s and ES2s, and Panther 75s and also, as an alternative to MCH58, on '57 Mod 100s.
MCH55 on V Rapides & Shadows, also on '55 Panther 75s and '56&'57 rigid Mod 100s.
Or so the Lucas equipment specs for '36 - '57 tell us. (Some variations for export machines to various markets - all a bit of a headache to work through - and not sure what happened from 1958.)

Pix clearly indicate some sort of badge between sw and ammeter on the 61 but not on the 55.

The switch seems odd though as all those machines would have had magneto ignition, MO1 magdynos on the Notruns and KVF on the V - or was the part possibly used later with alternator bikes?

On balance I think MCH61, and probably not Vincent sadly.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The 1936 Rudge Revulator was I think the original inspiration for this, on this high tech piece of kit you had to manually dial in the speed via a knob in the centre of the unit attached to the needle and read the revs off the scale for the different gears

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JuY3uyeZu1s/V ... M_3934.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wYKY8QQHfiM/V ... M_3933.JPG

This unit would have been fitted to a Special as the Ulster would have a higher top speed of around 95mph to 100mph at 5,500 rpm
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote:That's the revs in the gears at that speed. Dave.
Ah yes. Now you mention it I remember buying a 'Paddy Hopkirk' transparent polythene overlay for the speedo on my Mini that was marked with the revs for each gear.

(Nostalgia eh? It's not what it used to be :cry: )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Thanks for the rapid responses :beer:

The trip reset cable enters the back of the body and I think Dave has got it in one - it matches S467/107/L speedo images on 'tinternt, these were fitted to Triumphs between 54 and 58. I couldn't find a part number on the face but from reference to images I see that it's central and obscured by the pointer, by removing the lens I can now confirm it is a S467/107/L, the paint has faded but I can still make out the number under strong light and magnification.

The headlamp shell profile is significantly different from the MCH 55, the Lucas catalogue seems to show a badge installed on the MCH61:
MCH61.png
So it seems that the headlight is a bit of a mongrel

Many Thanks Mick

Edited to add my thanks to those who replied whilst I was responding - great info guys :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Have a look on the underside of the shell, close to the rim. It may tell you, and the year