1937 AJS 250

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
NORMAN NIPPY

1937 AJS 250

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

I have bought the above bike,still at dealers. I have been told that the speedo drive is missing,is there much hope in getting one
thanks
Duncan

Re: 1937 AJS 250

Post by Duncan »

Have you joined the prewar yahoo group, they would have a better feel, I assume this is gearbox driven do you know what bits are missing?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wd- ... hless/info
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A speedo drive may not be required, the law was, I think still is, you need a speedo if the bike was first registered after July 1937. Difficult to prove date of first registration unless you have proof of it like old log book.
If you need a speedo: This depends how original your bike is. If still original, the speedo was driven from the Model H gearbox on the 1937 250. So Q is. Is the speedo drive still in the gear box. The drive gear just pushed in from the front. It is held in place by the speedo cable, which in turn is held in place by a special bolt. Getting a speedo drive will not be easy, getting one made, costly. If you have correct 37 forks, there is not facility for mounting a speedo, not too difficult to make a bracket. Picture 1, speedo drive pushes in here, 2. head of bolt that holds cable and speedo drive in. Cables can be made. The inner is square where the cable fit the speedo, on the gearbox end there is a spade fitting, that fits in a slot in the drive gear. This special spade fitting should be available to J J Cables, to make a cable. I had a batch of drives made in Harlow Essex, also cables in New Zealand. All gone now, but I still have patterns.
Ashampoo_Snap_06 January 2019_21h22m57s_005_.jpg
I am sure I have answered this question before about this bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thanks for your help, The bike is still down at Andy Tiernans, it will be another two weeks before it comes to Scotland
Arthur
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ah... then I think I had already answered this question in the past. May need to see what you get, to answer the question in full about fitting a speedo, as at present can only answer on it all being correct.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

thank you
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When you get the bike, first lets see a picture of what gearbox it has. " Speedo drive missing " may not mean just the speedo drive gear. This could mean it may take quite a lot to get a working speedo on the bike.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I guess it's this one Rob.....
1937 AJS 250 (640x481).jpg
More pics and techy info on the website here:

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikeshtml/7113ajs.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Very pretty. You could always put a lecky /digital one on it.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I guess it's this one Rob.....
1937 AJS 250 (640x481).jpg
More pics and techy info on the website here:

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikeshtml/7113ajs.html
Opps... yes seen this. Gear box looks OK but look at those forks and front wheel. Brake fork fittings wrong on the rear fork tube, should be on the front tube, also wrong side, so brake lever pointing rear wards. Gives the impression the wheel has been fitted back to front. How or where is the brake anchor bodged to fit. 1938 timing covers, but they won't cause an accident. I have answered those questions some ago for this bike. When you see something like that you have to wonder what else you may find. Forks have fitting for the speedo, much like the 38 forks, that had a wheel with speedo drive from it. I recall the bike now, some one else also spotted the forks have side check springs which 250 or 359 had. I would never be happy with that bike. Not sure if I would happen hard braking it. I am sure this was all discussed here, so wonder why the question was raised again. Perhaps hoping now its been brought, for more favourable comment.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.