1938 Model X

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Kent Canute

1938 Model X

Post by Kent Canute »

Ladies and Gentleman your help please, have owned this Model X since 1980 it was purchased at a time of no children and I had hair!
The bike did not go and a number of bits were in boxes but in principal it was and is all there although I know I am going to have to do a bit of searching.
The plan is to get it up and running and use it as is ie with the patina of age,
My questions initially relate to engine matters as that seemed the right place to start and I have five initially,

1 the size of the distance piece that goes between the two main bearing on the drive side?

2 the size of the distance piece between the outer main bearing and the engine mainshaft sprocket, does it have one end being convex to match the concave element of the sprocket?

3 What stops engine oil coming through the main bearings and into the clutch case?

4 When assembling the main bearings I have a large circlip and washer that fit into the lager bearing bore in the crancase does the circlip go in first then the washer and finally the bearing track?

5 I have played with my old model 18 trials outfit for years and only recently was made aware that the two mag drive sprockets are not the same, ie bespoke for the camshaft and magneto drives,is that the same for the X? and if so how do you tell the difference?

Sorry for so many questions but documentation seems hard to come by and my spares list is only descriptive not illustrated. Thanks in anticipation of any help given.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1938 Model X

Post by Rob Harknett »

A lot of the fittings were used on other models pre & post war. Sprockets for example were still in use post 1951 when given new part numbers. So where you see these pt. numbers 20815 This equals 208 followed be number of teeth eg 20816 will have 16 teeth. Convert those old pt numbers to new post 51 numbers using this book.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
where you see eg STD123 prefix the number with enough zeros to make a 6 digit number. Using the old pt. number look in any WD to 1951 parts list to see pictures of the parts. You could also use the new pt. number to look in post 51 parts lists for pictures, but earlier say WD to 49 are best, as few old parts would have been discontinued. Parts that start 38-2-E?? would have been introduced in 1938 on model 2 v twins, up until you noticed 38 replaced by a later year date. As the sprocket is used on other models / year I see no reason why the spacer between crank case and sprocket should differ from other models except dimensions. Them being flat square edged, with dia's and thickness for model X, as that part number starts 38-2-E?? For dimensions and other info best contact other members with mod X via the prewar e -group. If not a member and would like to join, send me an e mail to prewar@jampot.com via the address you want to join the group with. I will then activate you prewar group website, to send to your e mail address, an invite to join the group. This cuts out some of the joining procedure for you. We had an agreement long ago with Brough Superior club to purchase parts from them. This is good for engine parts, like the missing spacer perhaps. Try B/S spares man on mikesmithbsc@hotmail.com for engine parts.
Kent Canute

Post by Kent Canute »

Hi Rob, thank you so much for your guidance will do all as you suggest and keep you informed, I have contact with another Model X owner but his bike is assembled and the details of internal measurements may be stretching the friendship a bit!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Kent Canute wrote:Hi Rob, thank you so much for your guidance will do all as you suggest and keep you informed, I have contact with another Model X owner but his bike is assembled and the details of internal measurements may be stretching the friendship a bit!

Theres a few in the prewar e group that are helpful. Also parts are being made on the basis of put your name on the list if you want this part. Also many drawings are available of parts for DIY or get made, drawings that will programme a CNC machine etc. These drawings are not archived as they would need a lot of web space. So released as needed by the person who made them over a number of years. So when he goes, so do the drawings. I have made unsuccessful attempts to get them all archived. Except those that have been released when required.