12v battery

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

12v battery

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m looking to replace the duff 12v battery on my 58 G3 ls 350cc I fully charge to 12v and see the battery drain in front of my eyes when on bench with nothing connected. I see jampot spares sell,

YT7B-B 12V-7AH AGM BATTERY

Is this battery for all 12v. bikes? What ah do I need I see there are many variations Important to get the size right to fit in compartment, max for me would be 100mm long x 90mm wide x 170mm high
My existing is 4ah
Is AGM a good make better than Yuasa for instance?
Prices vary a lot.
Any recommendations?
Mike
Rob Harknett

Re: 12v battery

Post by Rob Harknett »

For years used special 1.5v round batteries, wired in series to give 6v. They fitted in a hollowed out black battery easy enough. I have since used smaller batteries that fit the old hollowed out black batteries. Dry & Wet cell. OK as long as you do not do muck night driving. Although those that do a lot of night driving now seem to favour LED bulbs. Guess the answer depends on your needs
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

AGM means absorbed glass mat, it is a type of lead acid battery, not a make. Someone should be along shortly to tell you what will fit in your bike. Type of battery is important for how it will deliver current, how it charges, and how much abuse it will take. It is very important for electric start 'bikes, but less important for our classics.

Rob C
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mike

The club AGM battery fits fine on its side, I use some foam packing to stop it vibrating about. I would be interested if you can find a higher amp hour alternative.

Post by 1608 »

I have an 6v 11AH AGM battery in my Ariel and very pleased with it. I have the original mechanical cut-out/regulator fitted too. The old 6AH just didn't hold up.
clive

Post by clive »

1608 wrote:I have an 6v 11AH AGM battery in my Ariel and very pleased with it. I have the original mechanical cut-out/regulator fitted too. The old 6AH just didn't hold up.
I had the same arrangement on my 500 single but found on a journey to the German IJR that the battery collapsed internally. They are susceptible to over charging. Changed to an electronic regulator and new battery and it has been no problem since. I have this arrangement on 4 bikes now and the batteries hold up well.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've been using a standard Yuasa for some time. I've seen criticisms, but despite abuse (i'm sure three "offs" altogether don't help a lead acid battery) and neglect they've held up quite well.

I'm using a VRegII and some LEDs (changed back to Halogen for headlight).

Johnny B
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

The best I can find and will fit is this one.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... /ytx7l-bs/
Mike
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

This is the one I put in mine. I run LEDs and I'm in the process of fitting a usb charger for my phone which I use as a sat nav.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerline-GE ... 2749.l2649
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've used the same 6volt 6Ah Cyclon sealed battery and 10 amp fuse that fits inside a hollowed-out old Exide box for 8 years but I don't do much extended night time riding, maybe an hour or two at most............and I have mag ignition 8-)
100_1690 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'