Metallic Filler Recommendation

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Metallic Filler Recommendation

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've just collected a frame and bodywork from the powder coaters, they didn't coat the fuel tank as blasting revealed some minor dings, (so nice to have a service provider that considers the best way forward rather than just going ahead and coating over the dings :) )
Anyhow, they advised me to fill the dings with metallic filler though they couldn't give me a brand name. Does anyone know of a suitable filler, (good to 205 degrees celcius), and available in small quantities?
Note; This is a metal based filler not just a filler for metal ;)

Regards Mick
cbranni

Re: Metallic Filler Recommendation

Post by cbranni »

Hi Mick, I have used body solder but the melting point may be a bit too low for your needs at around 180c, there other fillers out there but I have never used them, I have never used powder coating.

http://www.oval.co.uk/shop/debrasel-als ... aste-1klo/

https://www.alvinproducts.com/Product-L ... /Lab-metal

Colin

PS not sure if the above links are what you are looking for.
only dead fish go with the flow
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I've never heard of anyone powder coating a tank before Mick, do the come out alright?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Guys

Colin - good recommendations but the quantities and therefore costs are a bit daunting.

I've discovered that a product I already have, 'Metalset A4', is aluminium based so have agreed with the Coaters to submit a test piece before committing to the tank. I've also ordered some pure aluminium powder from a fibreglass supplier which I plan to use as an addition to the metalset - I'll report back via the 'Garage Projects' forum.

Does powder coating work on tanks? This is my first attempt however I have other items of bodywork, (oil tank, mudguards, headlamp etc.), back and they are fine - the bonus is the cost benefit over a spray job :) Obviously it only works for a single colour finish.

Regards Mick