Magneto easycap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
paulvk

Magneto easycap

Post by paulvk »

Has anyone fitted a brightspark easycap to a KF2 magneto ? Do you have to remove the old cap first or can you just carry on and fit the easycap to the points base plate ?
My magneto is losing spark when it gets hot !!
Any information will be most appreciated .
Thanks ..Paul
cbranni

Re: Magneto easycap

Post by cbranni »

I have not personally fitted the "easycap" but all my mags that have been repaired by Brightspark have the easycap fitted as matter of course, I have added a link to the Brightspark site which explains how to fit the easycap.

I can't recommend Brightspark enough they are very competent and honest in their work, they do go the extra mile, the late Ken was a gentleman and so is Bill. I have no connection with the company just a happy customer.

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/cond ... /index.htm

Regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
peter ranson

Post by peter ranson »

I fitted one in the mag on my G15CSR when that was getting hard to start from hot. I followed the instructions on the Brightsparks web site , you have to remove the armature and dis-connect a pair of wires from the original condenser. I did this about 3 years ago and it is working great.
clive

Post by clive »

Same here more than 3 years ago. Cutting the necessary wires involved removing the internals but its straight forward following their comprehensive instructions. Being a Luddite i did not entirely trust the easycap so i bought a second one and tapped it into the headlight for when it went wrong as it would be an easy swop. The only time it has come out in 5 years was to show someone what it looked like!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

Thanks to Colin, Peter and Clive for your kind words and comments.

Paul, you need to look at the 'condensectomy' section of our website to see how to do the 'snip' or indeed remove the old condenser completely. It is usually perfectly 'do-able' but can be harder if the little wires in there have been cut short and buried in resin along with a replacement modern condenser.
It's also worth looking at the bit of the site called 'magneto maintenance' where some basic HT coil continuity tests are described.

My own capacitors have done between 7 and 8 years on 2 of mine, probably about 30K miles on each, and several other machines have done maybe half that.
I carry a spare because like Clive I always worry that nothing's for ever etc - but I haven't ever needed it.
Just back from Spain with a Norton which ran up 600 miles doing the Vuelta a Cantabria Spring edition (see Rob Swift's article in last Jampot for a great write-up of last autumn's event) and although I was dogged by braking problems in the mountains, nary a blip in the sparks department, even when the air temp hit 40° last Friday.

The late Ken and I started by looking at the things as 'standard service items' that could be regularly and very easily replaced in the course of basic maintenance, like we used to with older cars, but I don't think most people have gone that way, I know I haven't! But I do remove them from time to time to check capacitance and resistance to leakage, as I do want to know if there is any deterioration due to passage of time or mileage.

Bill
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Echo previous comments. I too have a spare but it's simply not been required. Still carry it like some sort of talisman; while I have it with me I won't need it!

Johnny B