Front brake

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Front brake

Post by MalcW »

Here's a question for you. I have a 1960 twin with the standard 7" front brake. My house has a steepish drive, about 4 cars in length down to the garage, and because of limited turning space at the bottom it's easiest to roll backwards down the drive, using the front brake to control the speed.

Usually, but not always, the next time I ride the bike and use the brake it will grab hard, then be fine (within the limits of what these brakes are capable of). I have removed and centred the brake plate 3 or 4 times, and it's done up tightly, so no wobble. The brake linings are reasonably new (from Saftek), but it did it with the original linings.

Any thoughts?

Malc
Mick D

Re: Front brake

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check the toque stay is fixed, does it move slightly between using the brake forwards and reverse?

If not it's probably down to play in the brake shoes - get into the habit of dabbing the front brake when you set off and before you use it in anger.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Mick

The torque arm seems solid; no noticeable play.

I do exactly that; pull away, use the brake under safe conditions, then I'm OK for the rest of the day.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Using the brake going backwards is opposite to how the brake is normally used. So its picking up???? You bevel the leading edges to prevent this for normal brake use. But going backwards the trailing edges become the leading edges. Perhaps bevel those edges also. Or have I lost the plot?? Could be grabbing because there is less wear on the trailing edges, so grab tighter when the brake is applied going backwards. Action on the Torgue arm is also reversed, which it may not be designed for. If its wear, shim out the worn end of the shoes to even out adjustment overall. That should also improve braking .
RE your comment, it does sound like wear and shoes picking up going backwards, so shoes go a bit off centre. You then apply the brake going forward, they then centralise again for use going forward.