That last Magneto bolt

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

That last Magneto bolt

Post by mjf65 »

Can anyone help me out? It looks like my Magneto is on the way out, seems to be a weak/intermittent spark so I need to remove it but I haven't got anything that'll get some purchase on the bottom bolt of on my Model 31. Special spanner required?
Thanks.
ajscomboman

Re: That last Magneto bolt

Post by ajscomboman »

No special spanner required, or shouldn't be. Once the drive gear is removed, if the correct bolt has been used, a thin wall 5/16th whit socket can be used and to hold the nut you can use a screwdriver or anything that will stop the nut rotating whilst you turn the bolt. Getting the nut back on the usually the hard bit.
Groily

Post by Groily »

One wheeze for getting the darn nut back on is to solder or braze a bit of thin rod to the nut so you can hold it from below about where it needs to be, to get the bolt started . . . Even better if you can get a bit of a nose or lead-in on the bolt's thread, with a little chamfer . . . Works for me anyway, not being the person on the planet with the smallest fingers (like ajscombo Rob!).
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SDC15312.JPG
I have used a bit of wire and twin stick, wire thinner and can be longer than my finger. Not sure if that will work with the nut in question though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bitza

Post by bitza »

When I did my G9 mag, after f-------g about and cursing the design, I hack sawed a slot in the bolt head, dug out a slim head spanner,
Held the nut in the spanner with gaffer tape, and gently started the bolt using a screwdriver, once it engaged ,you can nip it up with a socket.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

ajscomboman wrote:No special spanner required, or shouldn't be. Once the drive gear is removed, if the correct bolt has been used, a thin wall 5/16th whit socket can be used and to hold the nut you can use a screwdriver or anything that will stop the nut rotating whilst you turn the bolt. Getting the nut back on the usually the hard bit.
I haven't removed the drive casing yet. I assumed that they were studs fitted into a blind hole rather than bolts.

I was talking to a fellow Bristol Group member and he had fitted a long nut the protruded past the end of the Magneto, very ingenious.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

mjf65 wrote:I was talking to a fellow Bristol Group member and he had fitted a long nut the protruded past the end of the Magneto, very ingenious.
Hi

That's the system employed by BSA but it requires the magneto to be secured by studs in the case - if you're going to modify the case then the long nut is an off the shelf item from BSA / Ariel parts suppliers.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The top 2 are studs. The bottom one is a bolt, so you could use the BSA type of long nut.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Excellent, thanks Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

About half way down this page:

https://acmestainless.co.uk/product-cat ... cba1185463

Described as a bolt but with my pedant's head on it's an extended nut :?

Regards Mick