Cleaning Carbs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Cleaning Carbs

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Here's a question. If petrol's dead good for cleaning out crap from carbs; how come I've got to clean out my carb of sticky crap!? :headbang:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
cfaber

Re: Cleaning Carbs

Post by cfaber »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Here's a question. If petrol's dead good for cleaning out crap from carbs; how come I've got to clean out my carb of sticky crap!? :headbang:
It's not? Strip down. Soak in degreaser and then ultrasonic in hot mild soap solution 👍
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

My top tip is when you lay any petrol engined vehicle up is to run the unleaded completely dry, then put a pint or two of proper lawnmower petrol in the tank. Then fire it up and leave it.

It has a shelf life of five years. I realise it's expensive (about £20 a gallon) but I saves so much cleaning and stripping down each year with machines laid up for many months, even years. It really does make life easier.

Unleaded petrol goes off after a few months. I have proved it for the past three years. My mowers and four stroke strimmer never fail to start every Spring. I stripped a carb down from a mower running on mower fuel from new for 15 years and it was immaculate with no corrosion.

Obviously it's not feasible to run a motorbike on it before anyone says it!
clive

Post by clive »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Here's a question. If petrol's dead good for cleaning out crap from carbs; how come I've got to clean out my carb of sticky crap!? :headbang:
Here is an answer. The crap in the carb is the deposit left when petrol evaporates. Generally the crap wont come out with more petrol, although it does clean oil and oil sludge quite well. :evil:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix