Valve springs and guides

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
JDFS79

Valve springs and guides

Post by JDFS79 »

Hi everyone! Is there a way to recover the old hairpin valve springs ? Mine are a little bit worn !!! The club spares doesn't have them anymore . My bike is a 1952 G3Ls .
I also order from the club spares a exhaust and a inlet guide and they are exactly the same but in the spares book they have a different number! I just fit the exhaust guide ( it was the cause of lost of compression , it didn't have the circlip fitted and felt down to the compression chamber preventing the valve to close )
IMG_20190923_200605_compress86.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JDFS79

Re: Valve springs and guides

Post by JDFS79 »

IMG_20190923_200813_compress89.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

IMG_20190923_200843_compress7.jpg
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Valve guide part numbers in your 1952 parts list are, in. 017010 ex. 014510 They are the same numbers stated in club spares. So if you ordered those ept. no's that is what you should have got. The guide in your picture with Hepolite on it, may also have a Hepolite part number on it, Perhaps this is what you mean by a different number ( The inlet valve was introduced in 1939 and had an old part number 39-12-E148 , it is unlikely the club had any pre 1952 original guide boxed with that part number )
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

Hi Rob , yes that's the numbers that I ordered and they both have the same hepolite number on it 425 , the same 425 that was stamped on my ex. guide , I let the old inlet valve on the head , the reason I ordered both (in. ex. )was just to confirm if they were really different, I don't think there will be a problem because the oil ways are good and the guide prototion is also by the book.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

JDFS79 wrote:
I'd reuse those springs and not worry, they are barely worn at all.
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

They don't look much worn in the picture , I was able to mount them without the spring compressor just with bare hands( I don't have the tool) not much effort is this normal or could mean that the springs are not strong enough?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
JDFS79 wrote:
I'd reuse those springs and not worry, they are barely worn at all.
I confirm that 100% Rob.
I have springs and plates they sit in, with a lot of wear in my bikes. They were in the bikes over 30 years ago when I got them. I have never replaced springs, valve seats or guides. So never had any problems other's have complained about when their new guides the've fitted move, and seats turn. Spares I have brought to use when really needed, have only a little wear as seen as the pics. It is easy to remove without a tool, a little more difficult to replace. The technique of fitting the springs done not by compression, but by the same way you would fit brake shoes. A little rad. on the prongs will allow them to slide in easier, so they don't dig in. The shovel type replacement tool replaces springs with this action. It just keeps hold of springs and gives more leverage than your hands can do.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It is suggested that the gap between the top loop and lower legs of new springs is 2" and they should be replaced when reduced to 1 11/16". The wear on your spring loops does not render them unusable.
A drawing of the replacing tool is also shown.
See the last page of this article:
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... hanics.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

So I will use the old springs toworow I will assemble the head and the rocker cover I have fitted new rings my bore is already at +0.60" the piston is marked AE 10465 on the inside and looks good .
I ordered the rings from Cox & Turner, they were different from those that I had on( 3 different ) , the new ones are 2 identically and the oil one" but the gaps were ok .
I hope that all will be fine in the end.
Thank you all