SR1 Magneto Identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: SR1 Magneto Identification

Post by 56G80S »

I fitted an SR1 from a stationary engine (bought for £25 only 8-9 years ago from an enthusiast at my local garage) to fit while Tony Cooper fixed mine. It was fine apart from, I think, some very minor adjustment to the steel mounting plate holes. Better than the wrong rotation but very smart one I bought a little more expensively from Fleabay.

My "original" and it was I think, original, judging from the marks on the mounting plate, had the green tag with the press to stop, I've run a kill button through to the handlebars from that point rather than use the valve lifter.

Johnny B
Groily

Re: SR1 Magneto Identification

Post by Groily »

About half the SR1s I've seen have had the stop tag fitted, others have used the remote button described by Johnny B, some have relied on the decompressor to stop the engine.
Mick D's cut and paste info from the Parts Lists is the best info I have too.
Rotation is definitively anti-clockwise from the drive end.
How to set the cam for either direction of rotation is described in detail with illustrations on page 8 of the Workshop Instructions for SR magnetos and is simple, as alan engineer says: http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... %20SR4.pdf
Basically, what you want is the points to start to open just after the appropriate magnetic flip point, with the rotor turning in the desired direction. The cam is on a simple taper - no key - so it's easy to put it wherever it needs to be if it isn't there already.