Fitting direction indicators ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Fitting direction indicators ..

Post by Taid »

I want to fit indicators and while the rears are no problem, fitting to the front is (to me, anyway) not so simple.

The easiest way is to convert the torpedo sidelights or replace them with larger units. I don't like this idea anyway because they are so close to the headlight that it would make them less easy to see.

My preferred option would be to fit bar end units, ideally combined with bar end mirrors, but here I have a problem in that the wiring is either going to have to be adding clutter to the bars or run inside.

To run inside would necessitate drilling one or more holes in the bars which I feel could be a bit dodgy, though there are jigs for doing just this. \But here a see a problem of clearing the drilling burr inside the bars to prevent the wiring insulation being cut.

Has anyone done this and able to advise me.

Thanks
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mollbhan

Re: Fitting direction indicators ..

Post by Mollbhan »

I have fitted 6v indicators with LED bulbs to two 6v bikes, both times the flashing was so dull they might as well not have been there, I would not do it again on a 6v system.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mollbhan wrote:I have fitted 6v indicators with LED bulbs to two 6v bikes, both times the flashing was so dull they might as well not have been there, I would not do it again on a 6v system.

Thanks for your comment about 6v .. I am in the process of converting to 12 volts so, hopefully, the lights should be bright enough .. ..
___

MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Taid wrote:
To run inside would necessitate drilling one or more holes in the bars which I feel could be a bit dodgy, though there are jigs for doing just this. \But here a see a problem of clearing the drilling burr inside the bars to prevent the wiring insulation being cut.
I'm sure I'm being hugely over cautious, but I don't like the idea of drilling a hole into, and potentially weakening, your primary vehicle control, i.e. the handlebars.

Malc
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I coudn't live with bar end indicators, they wouldn't last 5 minutes!
Dave.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hi, did you see in General Topics "To Indicate Or Not To Indicate?" there were comments about fitting indicators, also my solution with some pics, they may help.
Dave.
Taid

Post by Taid »

To reply to the previous 3 posts ..

MalcW .. I am bothered about that too, I think drilling nearest possible to grips would weaken less than near the centre, which is subject to more leverage

dave16mct .. I wouldn't want tham standing out from the end .. combined in bar end mirrors would be ideal

Dave T .. I had seen it, and it may well be the way I eventually go .. but I would like to get them further from the headlights .. cars designers who put them in the headlight cluster are one of the banes of my life .. I like your rear units under the craven box .. I am (vaguely) looking for Craven panniers like I had on my original bike, with thoughts of putting the lights on them, but that would then preclude taking the panniers off .
___

Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

With regard to drilling the handlebar - the factory did just that for the horn button that screwed in to them and for the resultant wire plus the mounting holes for the dipswitch. The handlebar on my dad's 1955 bike has all these holes and has had several minor and one major spill over the intervening 64 years and has been re-chromed once with no signs of cracking on any of the holes. They do have a slightly incorrect bend on the RHS though. :lol:
Taid

Post by Taid »

Reynard24 wrote: The handlebar on my dad's 1955 bike has all these holes ..............................:
Your dad and I must have been riding at the same time then (if he had it from new ) ...

The problem with the drilling jig is that the hole is at right angles to the surface .. ideally it should be angled to reduce the bend in the wiring ..
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:ideally it should be angled to reduce the bend in the wiring ..
Tosh :o

Wires are designed as multi core with the intention of being able to be routed around corners, once in place they experience no stress unless they move, which in this case they won't. I think you're over thinking this.

Regards Mick